New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Sup up a Power Mac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

powerws

powerws is on a distinguished road

I currentlt have a dual 2.7 power mac G5. I use FCP and do lots of video editing. I currently have 2.5 gig's of ram and will be going to 8 gigs. (crucial) I want to speed up this machine, rather than going to a whole new tower. Along with memory, what else would you recommend. Graphics card, extra hard drives to use as scratch discs? Ect. I want to speed it up as fact as I can without loosing reliability. Thanks I advance for you suggestions. Wes
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I would recommend more RAM, which you are already doing, and one or more faster hard drives. See this thread. I achieved a significant speed up of my Mac Pro by installing a faster hard drive than the one it shipped with.

After some research on the web, it is clear that going to a two disk RAID-0 configuration will take this speed increase to the next level. I don't know if the 2.7 GHz G5 supported RAID or not, but if it did, this would be an interesting option. It is expensive though - Apple's current Mac Pro RAID card is over $900. Apple hardware remains "dear"!

This thread shows you how you can do this via external drives as well. The results do look VERY impressive. A faster disk subsystem definitely speeds up your overall machine experience.

Do bear in mind however that performance is a multi faceted beast. Once you optimize the disk element of this, your top performance will become bounded by the ability of your CPUs. Unfortunately, that will be as fast as you can go. You are running the fastest G5s out there.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
CoG888

CoG888 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D

Check out your water cooler while you are under the hood. It'd be a real drag to upgrade your machine, and a month later have the thing go up in smoke, just for a $6 o-ring.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Skipped Damaged Area in DVD Player? | Power Mac G4 AGP Graphics »