New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Making a Good Thing Better

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You'd have to install OS X on the new Samsung drive to make it the boot disk. Drop in the OS disc and install the OS. You would make the destination drive for the install the new drive. Once it's loaded and all good, go to system preferences and boot disk. Change the boot disk to your new HD and you're all set.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Bry's advice is sound but there is an alternative that you might want to consider too. If you are happy with your current setup and just want to transfer everything from that to your new drive you can simply duplicate it.

Here's how:
  • Stick your install disc in your BOOT drive
  • Boot the disc (either go to preferences>>startup disc OR hold down [C] whilst booting)
  • Once your Tiger/Leopard disc has booted goto Utilities at the top of the screen and run "Disc Utility"
  • You should see on the left hand side of the screen your two drives (plus any other drives you may have)
  • Click on the spinpoint drive (the drive itself not any partition inside)
  • Click on "Partition" which should be the middle tab
  • Select 1 partition (or more if you want)
  • And accept this so that disc utility creates your partition
  • Click on "Restore" which should be the right hand tab
  • You will see two input boxes "Source" and "Destination", Click on your newly created partition on the left side of the screen and drag this onto the "destination" box and let go.
  • Now click on the corresponding partition from your original drive and drag this to the source drive.
  • Click [RESTORE]
This will copy the contents of your original drive onto your new drive. I personally would now physically swap the F1 in the computer so that it is drive 1 and leave the other drive out. Make sure everything is running just as expected before you do anything to your original drive. You can now wipe it and use it for time machine or whatever.

There are other ways of doing this which some would consider easier. I think the disc utility is easy enough to use and its free and included so you might as well use it!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

Nocturnity is on a distinguished road

wow - thanks guys!

I'll get to it over the weekend. I've been thinking of copying everything onto the spinpoint and selling my other two drives - a 250 and a 500 and then using the money to buy another 750 spinpoint as I should be able to sell the others and make at least 60 for another spinpoint.

Mac Pro 2.66ghz, 9gb RAM, 2.5TB, FCS2 + 3 Monitors.

Young Photographer of the Year 2007
www.nightphotographer.co.uk
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnity View Post
wow - thanks guys!

I'll get to it over the weekend. I've been thinking of copying everything onto the spinpoint and selling my other two drives - a 250 and a 500 and then using the money to buy another 750 spinpoint as I should be able to sell the others and make at least 60 for another spinpoint.
I doubt it, have you seen the price of 250Gb etc drives! You can buy new ones for 20 now from Aria, they had new 500Gb for about 40 last week. I would just buy a couple of external drive boxes for about 6 each on ebay and use them for backup.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

yeah that's a really good idea. I might just have to get another spinpoint as well haha.

QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

Also - regarding the whole swapping boot disks thing. Would I complicate things if I wanted to upgrade to leopard whilst doing it? Would I have to reinstall everything again?

QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnity View Post
Also - regarding the whole swapping boot disks thing. Would I complicate things if I wanted to upgrade to leopard whilst doing it? Would I have to reinstall everything again?
You could either install the new drive and install leopard on it and just go from there OR copy the drive as I explained earlier and then upgrade the copy giving you both OSes and the ability to go back if you wanted.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It would be safer to start from scratch when switchin to Leopard. There are a few issues with upgrading from Tiger to Leopard.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
It would be safer to start from scratch when switchin to Leopard. There are a few issues with upgrading from Tiger to Leopard.
Although I have upgraded about 8 machines without any problem.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Wouldn't it be simpler just to use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to exactly replicate your current set up onto the new drive, and then boot the new drive? You can set your boot volume from your System Preferences. At least in Leopard there is a System Preference called Startup Disk. This is pretty much what I did to install the OS on my new disk.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler just to use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to exactly replicate your current set up onto the new drive, and then boot the new drive? You can set your boot volume from your System Preferences. At least in Leopard there is a System Preference called Startup Disk. This is pretty much what I did to install the OS on my new disk.
Not much in it really, my description is how to do the exact duplication using disc utility. Duplicating the drive is basically something that any of the three utilities does so yes you could use ANY of the three and it should be the same.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Monitor brightness distortion | help upgrading memory in a G4 desktop »