New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Making a Good Thing Better

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Poking around a little more on Seagate's web site, I found that they had a new version of the 750 GB drive, the ST3750330AS. This unit features a 32 MB cache (more cache is always good) and a sustained transfer rate of 105 MB/s, a full 34.6 % faster than the drive Apple shipped my machine with. I checked around and found that this drive was available at NewEgg.com for only $129. I couldn't resist ordering it and seeing what sort of performance gain I would get from putting it in. This is the great thing about the Mac Pro. It is endlessly configurable.
It's now $119 on the egg. I've had my finger over the trigger for a month or two now but haven't had the cash. Trying to resist!!!

Apple puts garbage HD's in the Mac Pro to cut costs. I took the stock drive out immediately and dropped in my own 750 drive. It's a shame because that's where the bottleneck is in the Mac Pro.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
AngryGreek

AngryGreek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD

Quote:
...I have kept both drives in the machine, so I now have a whopping 1.5 TB of disk store on this box. I will NEVER come even close to using all of this storage, but it is nice to have...
You know, I have said that so many times. I always end up needing more.

Also, thanks for the info. I am trying to convince myself that I need a Mac Pro right now.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Here is the relavant page from tomshardware.com. The 1 TB Samsung drive clocks in at 118 MB/s vs. the 105 MB/s for my 750 GB Seagate 7200.11. It is indeed a faster drive!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

Mac Pros make me green with envy.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner31593 View Post
Mac Pros make me green with envy.
I bought a 1.83GHz Mac mini with 1Gb of ram and an 80Gb HD and my wife bought a Macbook. I used my Mini for 8 months before I had the money to replace it with a pro and yes the pro is fantastic but to be perfectly honest foor 80% of the time I am not doing anything that requires the pro and the mini would have been adequate! Anything that runs Leopard without grinding to a halt is a decent computer. I have built computers since the 286 and at that time I was an Acorn component level service engineer. At that time the OS was RISCOS on the Acorns and it wasn't until I met Tiger that I came across an OS I like as much.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesdmc

jamesdmc is on a distinguished road

I heard so many good things about the Spinpoints that I ordered three 750 gig drives from Newegg (along with a Western Digital 640 gig...and 8 gigs of RAM...and a Pioneer 115D); all of which arrived before my Mac Pro did. I have two of them (Spinpoints) set up in a software RAID 0 in bays 2 & 3 for media storage. The Western Digital is the new boot drive.

Without a doubt, the drives are quiet. Heck, they're already quiet when running; and they're completely silent when they spin down. But be aware that they do indeed spin down when idle for a few minutes. And if I have to access them from an idle state, I get a spinning beach ball while the one in bay 2 winds up (I can hear it starting up), then I still have to wait for the one in bay 3 to start up before an app can open the file (the dock icon just keeps bouncing in the meantime) or write to the array. It's not a big deal for me. I just want to make everyone considering the 750 gig Spinpoints aware that you might have to wait a few seconds from time to time when accessing a file or writing to the drive. For me this usually happens when I'm surfing for a while and come across something I want to save to the array or access a file on the array. The drives have spun down and I have to watch the beach ball for a few seconds (like...I don't know...10-12 seconds max) before the file will open or I can save something. If I didn't have them set up in RAID, it'd be 5-6 seconds. Again, not a big deal for me.

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to keep the RAID setup. I think the drives are fast enough on their own that I could keep everything on individual drives without the risk that comes with RIAD 0.

Keeping on topic with the spirit of the thread, I'm sure I also made my Mac Pro better with the addition of the Western Digital boot drive...and the Samsung Spintpoints...DEFINATELY with the Samsung 202N and Pioneer 115D DVD drives (the original "superdrive" was riplocked); I just didn't play with the computer for very long before I started upgrading given that I had parts waiting for its arrival.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

James

- 24" 2.4GHz Aluminum iMac/4 gigs ram/750 gig hard drive
- refurbed 2.8GHz octo-core Mac Pro/10 gigs Ram/640 gig WD boot drive/3 x 750 gig Samsung Spinpoint F1/Pioneer 115D SuperDrive/Samsung SH-S202N SuperDrive/30" ACD
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

This is curious - is there a way to disable the spin down behavior? You are actually defeating a RAID 0 (the point of it is speed) if the drives spin down and you have to wait for them to spin back up. Does Samsung provide a way to disable this feature?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
This is curious - is there a way to disable the spin down behavior? You are actually defeating a RAID 0 (the point of it is speed) if the drives spin down and you have to wait for them to spin back up. Does Samsung provide a way to disable this feature?

You could click on preferences >> energy saver

Then just above [Restore Defaults] there is an option "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible", just untick this!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks cowasaski - that much I was aware of. However, jamesdmc seemed to be suggesting that the drive was doing this by itself, perhaps yet another "green" functionality, but this one unwanted.

jamesdmc, can you clarify? Does the drive spin down by itself, or is this something you have set up in your Mac's preferences.

QUOTE Thanks
jamesdmc

Quote:
jamesdmc, can you clarify? Does the drive spin down by itself, or is this something you have set up in your Mac's preferences.
Actually, it's both. They definitely spin down by themselves. I can hear them go to sleep and wake up. They make a whining noise when they wake up...just like me. However, I was unaware of the whole "put the hard drives to sleep" setting. And yes, it was checked. Must have been by default becuase I never messed with it (then again, my Mac Pro is a refurb; don't know if that has anything to do with it). I'll bet that's why they spin down. I just unchecked that box.

But you're right, mac57, it does defeat the purpose of RAID 0 if you have to wait for the drives to wake up before you can access them. I'll keep an eye (and an ear) on this and report back if they spin down after unchecking the energy saver function. I have a feeling that they won't. Thanks for the tip, Cowasaki.

James

- refurbed 2.8GHz octo-core Mac Pro/10 gigs Ram/640 gig WD boot drive/3 x 750 gig Samsung Spinpoint F1/Pioneer 115D SuperDrive/Samsung SH-S202N SuperDrive/30" ACD
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

I'd like a slider so that you can set WHEN they power down. If I leave my computer for 2 hours I am quite happy for them to power down after 20 mins.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks jamesdmc. Do report back and let us know if the drives now run consistently. I would hope that this is the case.

QUOTE Thanks
jamesdmc

Quote:
Thanks jamesdmc. Do report back and let us know if the drives now run consistently. I would hope that this is the case.
The drives don't go to sleep any more. Funny how that works: I uncheck a box that says "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" and they don't go to sleep. So all is well with the spinpoints. Quiet. Fast. And a good deal from Newegg.

James

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Excellent, thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnity

Nocturnity is on a distinguished road

Hey - I've just got a spinpoint f1 (working thanks to bryphotoguy) and after reading this thread I'm interested in making it my boot drive - How does one go about doing this? I've got the default 250gb that comes with the older mac pro's and it's nearly full and of course the spinpoint will be faster. Any links will be incredibly helpful.

Thanks.

James
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Monitor brightness distortion | help upgrading memory in a G4 desktop »