New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Quad Vs. Dual

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jawad

Jawad is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
I am kind of new here and in a rush but a quick question

Is Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors better than One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor

If you guys can let me know quickly that be great

Thanks

Jawad
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

edit: wait... I'm dumb. I misread, I thought you said single core.. haha

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The single quad core is better. The new Xeons feature more on board cache, which means that the cores simply run faster. Also of course, the new Xeons are Penryns. Of and by themselves, these are reported to run about 10% faster, clock for clock, than the preceeding chips.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

2.8GHz > 2.66GHz

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

********* IGNORE THIS I MISREAD THE POST *********

Wow not so fast.....

It depends on WHAT you are doing. The newer processor IS faster for the same clock speed.

Therefore a 3.0GHz processor from a version 2 pro is faster than a 3.0GHz processor from a version 1.

Therefore the newer 2.8GHz processor is faster than the 2.66GHz - nobody would argue with that BUT having 4 cores rather than 2 cores WILL be quicker IF the software is optimised for multiple cores. In an ideal world a quad core 2.66 would be the speed of a 10.64 but that is never going to happen.

Both machines would be fast machines. The 2.8 would probably have the edge in day to day running and the 2.66 quad would have the edge with some of the professional apps than are more optimised.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

cowasaki- the 2.66GHz is also a quad core. It would also suffer the same slow downs single and dual core apps. There is no optimization that I know of so I doubt the software is smart enough to send info to only one of the dual core 2.66GHz processors. It always sent the info randomly when I had the 2.66.

QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
cowasaki- the 2.66GHz is also a quad core. It would also suffer the same slow downs single and dual core apps. There is no optimization that I know of so I doubt the software is smart enough to send info to only one of the dual core 2.66GHz processors. It always sent the info randomly when I had the 2.66.
Ignore my answer I for some reason thought you were comparing a dual 2.8 and quad 2.66. I obviously didn't read the post properly. woooopsss

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

But what you said is right. Most apps are designed for only one, maybe two cores. All of these apps will perform better on a single dual core machine of the same speed quad core or oct core machine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM question | imac g3 video problem »