SATA upgrade
    Ok, here we go again. Often times I read the responses when someone wants to upgrade there old desktop (I personally don't think of my old G4 as being out to pasture), It was one of the first AGP Sawtooths to come out. I have upgraded it to 1.2GHz and 125GB of memory. I use it as a multi media tool however I am running both SCSI and ATA and am about to upgrade to four 250GB SATA drives and a SIIG controller card. It's all about $500 which is still cheaper than buying new because when I do buy new I am going to buy the latest fully loaded machine and the biggest cost will probably be in the software I have to upgrade or replace.

My question. Does anyone know how the G4 uses RAID. Or perhaps I should ask is what I am trying to do even feasible. I always thought that RAID was up to the controller card but when I go to the SIIG site they don't mention anything about RAID capability on the 4-channel card I am looking at. I do see a RAID option in the resident DISK utility software that comes with the machine.

I seek enlightenment and not "naysayers" suggesting I "toss out" my machine.

Thanks in advance...

17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    This was done on a G4 but on OS 9.0.4 Still it's a rather lengthy article about RAID back then. It might be useful.

I think you should toss out your machine.

LOL. Kidding.
    I've been looking at some upgrades.
    How's your 1.2 been?

What I have found so far is that I cannot boot from the hard drives if they are in RAID 0 or 1. The RAID configuration is up to the system unless I have a special RAID controller.

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    There was a member here who has moved on that had a G4 Digital Audio with Raid 0 or 1. I still read her blog and will try to get a hold of her and ask what she did. I know she had a Raid card in the DA and it worked great for her. I believe she was running Tiger also. Will get back to you if I can find the info.

I BELIEVE this is the Raid card she was running.

My 2 cents...

We went through this a few months back and determined that the G4 is just too old and not worth investing in upgrades. We spent a few weeks looking for a used G5 and came up with a clean machine that we're happy with for $1000. It was worth far more than a processor upgrade on the G4 and a much better deal than a new machine.

You might want to consider it...

Thread Information