New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Power Mac G3 issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dan24k

dan24k is on a distinguished road

ok heres the deal, i have just recently recieved a g3 mac from a friend. unfortunatly the isc it came with was only 6 or 7 gbs...so after installing tiger onto the drive i relised i needed more space to do wa i wanted to do...with that being said i then bought a 200gb hd and installed tiger onto it....everything work fine just a issue with booting from the drive....the questin mark and mac faced folder blinks an then it goes to the apple icon screen and the the horrible thing happens:@..a black rectangular box appears in the middle of the screen and does not load into tiger...it just stays there....now heres what i dont get...now if i lug in the 6 gb hd which has tiger running on it...it boots up without any issues...but the 200gb give me prbs...any solutions? thnx in advance....ps i have already tried te command+option +p+r thing....thnx agen
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

The old G3's have a capacity limit of 128gb. You need a PCI IDE card to take advantage of your 200gb drive or you could look for third party drivers to fix the issue (google it, I've never went that route). I'd go with the PCI card.

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
dan24k

well the drive is a ide hd....an it does only recognse 128gbs of the 200....bt lik it booted a few times with n issues...now all that comes up is the black rectangle.....think its hardware...lik cud it be the battery?
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan24k View Post
well the drive is a ide hd....an it does only recognse 128gbs of the 200....bt lik it booted a few times with n issues...now all that comes up is the black rectangle.....think its hardware...lik cud it be the battery?
Are you running a revision 1 machine? These units had problems with the onboard IDE controller, especially under OSX.

I don't remember how to identify these units, I would look online. I used to have one and it gave me nothing but trouble when using the onboard IDE controller so I installed a PCI controller card.

QUOTE Thanks
dan24k

aite so youd advise trying it out with an pci card...cuz tha pci connector im using now is onboard....still jus perplex because it booted fine the 1st 2 or 3 times now...jus the blck box in da midle:S...but as i sed, the 6gb hd that the computer came with which i installed tiger on boots up fine...
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan24k View Post
aite so youd advise trying it out with an pci card...cuz tha pci connector im using now is onboard....still jus perplex because it booted fine the 1st 2 or 3 times now...jus the blck box in da midle:S...but as i sed, the 6gb hd that the computer came with which i installed tiger on boots up fine...
I had one of these machines running 10.4 perfectly well on a 40gb IDE drive for about 3 months until it started crashing and wouldn't boot up anymore. Thats when I realized it was a Rev 1.

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Look here to find out what revision it is and what you can do with it:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible to use 4-5 year old AppleCare (iMac/eMac) on new iMac? | Headless Clone Needs Head »