New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro Boot With Tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

I am seriously considering buying a Mac Pro .... If at all possible, I would like to be able to dual boot, with Leopard or Tiger. Is it possible to boot a Mac Pro with Tiger, from an internal HD or external FW HD? If there is no way possible to boot a Mac Pro from Tiger, is there an emulator that will allow me to run most (or all?) of my old apps that I’ve been running on my iBook G4 1Ghz (running Tiger)? Thanks.

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

A new Mac Pro ships with Leopard only. The retail version of Tiger does not work on Intel Macs. From my knowledge of Apple's EULA, the restore discs cannot be resold without the computer so I don't think you could legally pick up a copy of the original Mac Pro's restore discs. Even they, those discs are designed for the original MP and might not work on the new one.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

To elaborate on what Bryphotoguy already said, even if you did manage to procure a legal copy of OS X Tiger for Intel machines, it would not contain the drivers needed for a machine that was released after Leopard.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

Found this http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/545009689831

Interesting
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac0s9user View Post
Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. Wonder if any of the newer Mac Pros will also be able to boot from Tiger?

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I would imagine that it could still work, but as you may have noted in the link, you would need a drive with an existing Tiger installation from an older Mac Pro in order to pull it off. A bit difficult to do if this is going to be your first Mac Pro

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
blinkin357

blinkin357 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives

I'm surprised by the comments. I bought my MacPro with Tiger installed. Before installing Leopard, I copied the Macintosh HD drive to a partition on an external drive. After installing Leopard, I copied the drive with Leopard to another external drive partition. Now I can boot to Macintosh HD with Leopard or to either external drive with Tiger or Leopard.

It has been a great thing because I didn't have confidence in Leopard when I bought it. When problems arose, I was able to go back to Tiger to review settings.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

That's cause yours shipped with Tiger. The new Mac Pro ONLY ships with Leopard.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkin357 View Post
I'm surprised by the comments..
Perhaps reading them a bit more thoroughly would leave you less surprised?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can not connect to net | G5 Tower (Tiger, non-intel) shuts down after start up »