New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G5 iMac (non intel) running at HD 63C

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frisbeefodder

frisbeefodder is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just installed a new HD and it's running at 63°C. the performance is fine and there are no overall problems I just noticed the temperature in a new widget I installed which shows the system stats.

The only reason I ask is that my last HD just died and also I had a HD which died almost a year ago and it seemed odd that two drives should go in such a short period of time.

I'm not really using the machine for anything other than emailing and browsing at the moment - although I normally do some photoshop work etc. The only unusual circumstances are that the drive has been running for about 3 solid days doing an online backup (to Mozy.com) which has another 13 days estimated to go!

Just wondering if my system is running too high a temperature which wouldn't be too HD-friendly I suppose!

Would it be best to shut the drive down for a few hours if it's to do with the length of the backup?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It'll be fine.

It's hot because it's working so hard, but then that's what it's supposed to do. If you shut it down for a few hours, it'll just jump back up to 63.

There's no point worrying. Using a hard drive cautiously is like driving around no higher than 30 in case your car doesn't make 100,000 on the clock.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Flickering at anything below 89hz | 10.5 Installing Issues, Help! »