G5 iMac (non intel) running at HD 63C
    I just installed a new HD and it's running at 63°C. the performance is fine and there are no overall problems I just noticed the temperature in a new widget I installed which shows the system stats.

The only reason I ask is that my last HD just died and also I had a HD which died almost a year ago and it seemed odd that two drives should go in such a short period of time.

I'm not really using the machine for anything other than emailing and browsing at the moment - although I normally do some photoshop work etc. The only unusual circumstances are that the drive has been running for about 3 solid days doing an online backup (to which has another 13 days estimated to go!

Just wondering if my system is running too high a temperature which wouldn't be too HD-friendly I suppose!

Would it be best to shut the drive down for a few hours if it's to do with the length of the backup?

Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    It'll be fine.

It's hot because it's working so hard, but then that's what it's supposed to do. If you shut it down for a few hours, it'll just jump back up to 63.

There's no point worrying. Using a hard drive cautiously is like driving around no higher than 30 in case your car doesn't make 100,000 on the clock.

Thread Information