New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mac Mini as a server?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rob.h

rob.h will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD

I currently have a pair of servers in the loft - both reasonably spec'd tower PCs a bit past their prime. One acts as a backup server for my Windows workstation and laptop which backup to it daily - the theory being that if someone breaks in and steals my computer equipment while I'm out, then they won't think to get the ladder out and clamber into the loft, so at least my data is safe The other 'server' hosts a very small website, plus VibeStreamer so I can listen to my music collection over the web. Both run Windows 2003 Server as I'm lucky enough to have a volume license, although as an OS it's complete overkill for my needs.

I was thinking maybe I should buy a Mac Mini, hook it up to a 1Tb external USB drive and go with that as a backup server & web server? It'll use less power than the two servers which I can donate to my nephews & nieces, and it'll probably be bit a bit more friendly towards my Mac Pro. Question is then, can I find a Mac equivalent to VibeStreamer?

Does that sound like a sensible plan? Essentially the thing will be left running unattended 24x7 to do it's thing, with me remotely connecting every once in a while to see if Software Update needs to do anything.

QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

The mac mini is a great small server.

Check this out for streaming your music

http://www.simplifymedia.com/index.html

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The only reservation I'd have with that setup is the transformer power supply for the external drive. You'd need to make sure it was a good quality supply that was designed to run 24x7.
Many transformers/PSUs that come with externals are pretty cheap and nasty.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
rob.h

Good point about the PSU's - hadn't thought of that. One of the servers currently has a Freecom 400Gb USB drive attached and the power supply on that runs very hot indeed. Problem with many of these external devices is that you don't find out how good the little transformers are until you've bought the thing.

That SimplifyMedia software looks interesting, I shall check it out.

Cheers.

QUOTE Thanks
rob.h

Found what looks like the perfect partner for my Mac Mini 'server' ...

miniStack V3

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« display/pixilating issues with OS X 10.5 | Mac Gaming/Ram/Bootcamp!!?? »