New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - 10.5 Installing Issues, Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beta1

Beta1 is an unknown at this point

First off, sorry if this belongs in the OSX section. I'm guessing the issue is my PowerMac and not the Leopard CD so I put it here instead, I guess mods can move it if I made a mistake. Anyway...

Here is my problem:

- I have a Leopard CD
- I put it in my PowerMac G5 (Specs in Signature)
- Boot from CD (By holding "C" on Boot-up)
- The Apple Logo comes up on screen (Same one that comes up when you first boot into OSX regularly), I hear the DVD spinning in the drive at this time.
- After about a minute, all the sudden, all the fans start blowing at FULL blast, the disk drive seems to stop spinning, and the screen just stays at the Apple Logo without doing anything.

I have let it sit there with the fans blowing obnoxiously hard, with seemly no response from the machine for at least two minutes before. I have tried to install at least a few times and the same thing happens.

Also, I have run the data on the CD through DiskUtility and everything verifies.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering. The machine has OSX Tiger installed and runs fine, the SuperDrive has never had an issue reading or writing, and I have tried installing on the disk with 10.4 as well as a blank HDD. Although most of that is probably irrelevant because I have yet to get past the "White/Grey Apple Logo" Boot-Screen.

Kinda wondering why this is happening and if there is anything I can do to fix it, any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

-PowerMac G5- 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 1TB HD (2x 500GB), GeForce FX 5200, Super Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

My PowerMac wants a new large, cat like animal!

-PowerMac G5- 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 1TB HD (2x 500GB), GeForce FX 5200, Super Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Try reseting the PMU/SMC (depending on year)

Also, the Apple Hardware test. (if the above doesn't work)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
Try reseting the PMU/SMC (depending on year)

Also, the Apple Hardware test. (if the above doesn't work)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760
I bought my machine used and it didn't ship with all the CD's so I don't have AHT for my PowerMac.

QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

Any other ideas? Ahhh, I want me some leopard!

Like... Is there any reason something like this would happen? I'm pretty technology inclined and am just not really getting this at all.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Had the machine an OS on it when you purchased it and assume you have the retail install DVD and not a model specific such as an iMac Leopard disc? Don't like to worry you but the blowing fans full force is usually a sign of power/logic problems which is why AHT is a vital piece of equipment.

Do a Google on G5 PowerMac problems and for starters try this fix from Apple:-

QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Had the machine an OS on it when you purchased it and assume you have the retail install DVD and not a model specific such as an iMac Leopard disc? Don't like to worry you but the blowing fans full force is usually a sign of power/logic problems which is why AHT is a vital piece of equipment.

Do a Google on G5 PowerMac problems and for starters try this fix from Apple:-

The Leopard Disk is standard Retail, not model specific. And yes the computer shipped with Tiger and came with no disks. Never had any kind of an issue with it the whole time I've had it (Almost a year?).

And I already reset the SMU based on what Apple said to do for my model and it did nothing.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Have a look at this link and seems you need AQpple Hardware Test 2.1.1:-

http://www.geeksrus.com/2003/09/24/a...are-test-soon/

You may have to contact Apple Support as advised in this link from Apple:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86492-en
QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

Oh... This sucks. lol. Thanks for the help. Anyone else that has any ideas please don't hesitate to comment, I could use it!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 iMac (non intel) running at HD 63C | MDD HDD question »