New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Formatting a HDD via TDM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FrankMtl

FrankMtl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 DP G5, 2.0 Blk MacBook

Hi guys,
Unsure if this can be done thus asking for your input.
I want to swap out a Cube G4's puny 20 Gb drive and install a new one with a capacity of 80 to 120 GBs. Chances are this new drive will not be formatted for Mac and, having no external firewire drive enclosure handy i was wondering if this could work:
Install the new drive in the Cube, connect the Cube to my G5 w/ a FW cable, and boot the Cube in Target Disk Mode.
Do you think the new drive will appear on my G5's desktop and allow me to format it using Disk Utility?
Many thanks in advance,
Frank
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

You can do the same with Disk Utility, booting from the install disk.

Upon startup, you should see a Dialog Box telling you that the drive is not initialized and asking if you would like to initialize it now. Click on "OK." The computer will complete the startup process and the drive should be mounted on the Desktop.
If you do not get the dialog box at startup, go to Utilities on the menu bar, (after selecting languages) -Disk Utility.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
FrankMtl

FrankMtl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 DP G5, 2.0 Blk MacBook

Alas, I inherited the Cube as is, without kb/mouse/speakers or install disks. Hmm, now that you got me thinking, i should try to boot it from my retail Leopard dvd. If that works then i'm all set!
*sigh* ticks me of when the obvious simple solutions pass me by.
Thanks soulwar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Attention iMac G4 800Mhz users do i upgrade or go windows PC route | Can someone help me? »