New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G3 iMac Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob11

I have a G3 (circa 2001). I was online the other night reading email and the system shutdown on me (almost like a power failure). I tried to restart the machine (using the power button on the monitor). The system sounds as if it is trying to power up (ever so slightly) but nothing happens.

I tried to 'shock' the PRAM via the keyboard, to no avail. I then tried replacing the battery, nothing. I am running out of ideas. Can any body help me out?

Thanks

Bob
QUOTE Thanks
mateo107

Hi Bob-

I've most recently taken apart quite a few Rev2 iMacs, and have heard many-a-time of non-booting macs. Unfortunately, I usually don't put a super lot of time into repairing them, (usually bad analog, power, or login boards), but if you can provide a LITTLE more detail, I might be able to help point you in the right direction as to the cause of your problem.

Does the iMac Power LED turn green? Do you hear the "Happy Mac Chime"? Any other descriptions you can provide about the startup (or lackthereof) can help us pinpoint the problem.

Thanks and Good Luck!

-matt-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob11
I have a G3 (circa 2001). I was online the other night reading email and the system shutdown on me (almost like a power failure). I tried to restart the machine (using the power button on the monitor). The system sounds as if it is trying to power up (ever so slightly) but nothing happens.

I tried to 'shock' the PRAM via the keyboard, to no avail. I then tried replacing the battery, nothing. I am running out of ideas. Can any body help me out?

Thanks

Bob
QUOTE Thanks
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob11

Thanks

Bob
I have a G3-iMac from 2001 (early, 450mhz), too. I have the same problem, the computer suddenly shuts down just like there was a power failure and it cannot be restarted using the powerbutton on the monitor.

Sometimes I know the mac will shut down before he does, because the monitor changes the geometry (I don't really know how to explain this in english, sorry) or the picture gets (kind of) out of focus.

I think this problem has something to do with the "power supply" (?), but I don't have a clou how to solve it.

Do you?
I need the Mac...

Thank you,
Robert
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

It can be really frustrating trying to isolate a power problem like this. I would go to: ttp://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html and get the service manual. There is a full troubleshooting section on isolating and repairing startup/power problems. Unfortunately there are several dead links but the first three imac links seem good.
QUOTE Thanks
Matman34

I have a feeling it's the Power Supply Unit. I've had 3 unit's do almost the same thing. 2 powered on, got the post chime, the hard drive started spinning and then they turned off. 1 crackled for a while and then completely died with a pop. It's obviouosly a weakness in the the old CRT imacs.

Mat
QUOTE Thanks
tastyorange

tastyorange is an unknown at this point

My Father could not get his Photoshop to work last night when cropping for ebay...disk errors...
He did Norton and got lots of errors.
So this morning his circa 1999 iMac started up and promptly quit out.
He can get it to start up, but then it cuts out. If it is the power supply, can that be replaced by me? How can I test it?
I'd rather buy him a new mac than spend some rediculous amount to fix it.
Of course he now wants to retrieve his images on the iMac. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Personally, I would not spend a lot of time or money on it. It's already 5 years old and the cost for repairs could be a significant percentage of a new computer's cost. The hard disk from the old iMac can be installed in an external drive case and the contents transfered to the new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
tastyorange

Thanks... if it's the power supply and costs less than $200 and if I can do it myself, I will probably do it.
QUOTE Thanks
tastyorange

I just called Apple and a nice guy in Austin says if the CRT lights up before shutting down... it's probably the Logic Board... if it just lights up the button...then maybe the power supply... either way...maybe I should buy my dad a new eMac or iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« drive access | Well manana esta El Dia! »