New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Attention iMac G4 800Mhz users do i upgrade or go windows PC route

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andy12345

andy12345 is on a distinguished road

Dear Imac users,

Okay I see the price of 512MB for imac G4 800 is about 60, but on modern macs I can pay same price for 2GB. This bites me slightly. I need to know that an Imac G4 800Mhz with 768 MB (133) will handle casual browsing/flash etc for at least another couple of years without me falling asleep. I am on a severe budget so would perhaps goto a 300 windows machine (cough) just for the economy (I can put 60 towards it instead of the old imac memory)

Do you advise the upgrade and stay with 800Mhz or goto 300 windows pc option for the speed difference?
Please advise as I find it a gross insult to the environment to dump any useful computer/technologies.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The RAM would definitely help - but if you are finding it slow then you might want to go the PC route

Personally on my G4 733 - the only things I find a pain are uTube videos being slow and any video encoding taking ages. Otherwise this machine is just fine

You could always sell the imac on ebay - someone will give it a home
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Your G4 uses a laptop size SDRAM module, and yes these are expensive compared to DDR and DDR2. I would buy the extra memory, it'll really help, but the G4 is starting to show its age.

Remember that there's another slot underneath the bottom of the imac with a full size SDRAM module, you can upgrade that for about $40 US, and get the SODIMM size one later, that'll give you 1gb and will really help prolong the life of your mac.

My latest experiment is a 1ghz G4 emac. I threw 1gb of SDRAM in it and installed OS 10.5, and its very useable.

Eventually, you might want to consider picking up a used Mac Mini with an Intel Core Duo (I got mine a year ago for $410 on ebay), the speed difference there will be dramatic.

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eMac won't display anything | Formatting a HDD via TDM? »