New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G5 won't come out of display sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vogz

Vogz is on a distinguished road

Leopard has run very smoothly on my iMac G5 for the last 2 months until today. In my energy saver settings I have it set to NEVER sleep, but put the display to sleep after 15 minutes. I went to activate the display this morning and got nothing (tried with keyboard and mouse). I ended up having to force it off by holding the power button. Booted back up and everything seemed to be fine until the display went to sleep again. Same problem. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or had this issue before???

Thx
QUOTE Thanks
Vogz

update: Now it's locking up completely in the finder within 5 minutes of booting up. Nothing works and I have to shut down. Then it takes two attempted boot ups before it actually doesn't freeze on bootup.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Firstly check Disk Utility and see what SMART verified has to say? If all okay pop the install DVD in and boot from there and run Repair Disk and see what is reported?

If all okay, boot from startup and run Repair Permissions. Let's know how things progress? Might be a job for DiskWarrioir 4.1.
QUOTE Thanks
Vogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Firstly check Disk Utility and see what SMART verified has to say? If all okay pop the install DVD in and boot from there and run Repair Disk and see what is reported?

If all okay, boot from startup and run Repair Permissions. Let's know how things progress? Might be a job for DiskWarrioir 4.1.
Thanks...I'll try and report back...
QUOTE Thanks
Vogz

It's been about 24 hours since I booted up from the install CD and verified and repaired my HD (it had one minor issue) Also repaired permissions.

It's been so long (back when I ran OS 9) since I've had to troubleshoot a problem that I didn't even know where to start with OS X.

Thanks for the tip harry
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3.06 GHz iMac Performance Tests vs. Power Mac, Mac Pro | Adding memory to imac issue »