New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Help! My Mac won't boot (G5 iMac on Panther 3.9)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frisbeefodder

frisbeefodder is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
I left my (pre intel G5) iMac for about an hour. Nothing has been usual lately (no slowness or hard drive noises etc) and it had gone into sleep mode. When I woke it up the screen was frozen.

I restarted and since then I have either got the dreaded question mark showing the OS can't detect the hard drive or I get a no entry sign instead of the Mac logo.

I have tried booting from some diagnostic disks and the harddrive doesn't appear in the list of drives to analyse (my external drive appears).

I have tried rebooting a few times and it has started up but then frozen after a minute or two.

I tried booting in safe mode and I am now getting the following message:
unable to find driver for this platform: "powermac8,1" and a whole bunch of other stuff...

Also no debugger congfigured - dumping debug information..

Panic.. we are hanging here ... etc!

Also I can't eject the disk utility desk now! I know you can hold down the mouse button and eject the desk but I don't have a mouse any more as I am using a graphics pad.. and it doesn't seem to be working with my graphics tablet... I tried holding down my tablet left button and instead of the chime was a long beep sound fropm the mac speaker which I've never heard a mac make before!!

Update - when trying to re-install the software (I tried the Panther, also the Tiger OS install disk) there are no destination drives to install to under 'Select a destination'.

It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, but it may well be - but I have no ideas at the moment. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58183

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...m=106464#symp2

Resolving Kernel Panics

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

Thanks for those resources, I'm still looking through them but unfortunately I don't think they are much help, although I will be reading the last one in more detail later. As a last resort the 'Resolving Kernel Panics' page says to re-install the system software from the disk, which I have already tried... but there are no listed harddrives in the 'select a destination' window when I try to re-install the system.

Again - disk utilities don't see any hard drives (other than any external drives I had plugged in)

I think this is a case for dead hard drive man...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

It could be RAM going bad as well. Did you install any third-party RAM ? If so, remove them and see if that doesn't help. If not, I've read on occasion that factory-installed RAM could be defective too but it doesn't happen too many times though.

And about the trying to reinstall OS X bit, did you try unplugging all unnecessary peripherals ? You mentioned your graphics tablet, I would unplug everything you don't need just in case it confuses the ailing system.

One beep, according to Apple.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

Thanks yes - everything unplugged (apart from a usb mouse!).

I had a similar problem about a year ago... but the hard drive was making clicking (i.e. obviously dead) sounds.. I replaced it and all was fine.

However, never thought RAM Could be an issue - I had some third part ram installed about 2-3 years ago... I'll remove it and see what happens when I get some time later.

As my time is limited (as I'm desperately trying to get work done on a very slow backup machine) I'm thinking of just trying a replacement drive if it's not the RAM.

It's SATA drive I know that part, but does anyone know the specs for a drive for this model? The pre-Intel (pre-isight) G5 iMac. The first G5 iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

I was thinking the ram and/or HDD myself.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...g5_1.6_17.html

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

Well - I just eliminated the RAM thing... so it looks like the HD...

I have everything backed up (work files etc on another drive) - apart from somehow I missed my music and photos folders - so may have lost a year of photos and iTunes downloads.. but hopefully I can get the data off the drive another time
QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

I've set up a new topic to help me find what hard drive I need here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...585#post645585
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeefodder View Post
Thanks yes - everything unplugged (apart from a usb mouse!).

I had a similar problem about a year ago... but the hard drive was making clicking (i.e. obviously dead) sounds.. I replaced it and all was fine.

However, never thought RAM Could be an issue - I had some third part ram installed about 2-3 years ago... I'll remove it and see what happens when I get some time later.

As my time is limited (as I'm desperately trying to get work done on a very slow backup machine) I'm thinking of just trying a replacement drive if it's not the RAM.

It's SATA drive I know that part, but does anyone know the specs for a drive for this model? The pre-Intel (pre-isight) G5 iMac. The first G5 iMac.
Clicking sounds ? That's a dead give-away to a failing hard drive. But it's really strange that you'd end up with two failing hard drives...
QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

Yes it is strange, however I do use the Machine quite heavily... the first hard drive to go was the original one, as above it made clicking/ticking sounds as it was a mechanical fault.

But the one I have now just died it seems.. and isn't detectable by any disk utilities.. and can't be seen when I access the drive via Firewire from another Mac.

I bought a new drive today and will post how it goes when I get the time to actually sit down and look at this!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 700Mhz Random Shutdown? | boot from external »