New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Refurbished iMac or the new one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brow7225@mac.co

brow7225@mac.co is on a distinguished road

Ive been pretty set on getting a new IMac but now with the new ones coming out im a little torn on which one to buy. The question comes do I buy the new 2.4 20 inch with the 128MB graphics card and 250 GB HD or do I go with the refurbished 2.4 20 inch with 256 graphics card and 320 GB HD. I know the secondary cache and FS bus are slightly better in the new one but does it make up for better graphic card and bigger HD. The refurbished one is $100 cheaper and comes with the same warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

personally i would go with the refurb
QUOTE Thanks
robghosh

robghosh is on a distinguished road

You can get a pretty kickbutt deal on the Refurbed site:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=FA456LL/A

I bought mine from here a year ago and you can potentially win the Apple Lottery. I bought this exact model, but when I got it, it came with a 500 gig hard drive, the fastest processor at the time and the best video card. I've bought two more Macs from here and have won the Apple Lottery all three times in a variety of ways. It's the same warranty as new as well.. you can't really lose.
QUOTE Thanks
djs

djs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz

I purchased my refurbished mac pro from the Apple UK store, got a fabulous deal, and when it arrived they had installed a hard drive twice the size of the one stated. I would go for the refurb.
QUOTE Thanks
brow7225@mac.co

brow7225@mac.co is on a distinguished road

I took the advice of yall and ordered the refurb. Ill keep my fingers crossed and hope to get more then I paid for. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Chase

Chase is on a distinguished road

I would like to follow up a little.

Do any of you have an problems with your refurbished macs? Or do they work just as good if I bought it new? In other words, why would Apple provide refurbished Macs if they are practically the same as new? There must be something wrong with them.

16 GB Apple iPod Touch
Future owner of 2.4 GHz, 4 GB Memory, 200 GB Hard Drive, 15" Macbook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

I got a 500 gig hd instead of the ordered 320gb
QUOTE Thanks
TheNate

TheNate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.5GHZ, iMac 2.16GHZ(intel), PowerMac G4 (1GHZ Sonnet)

there is nothing wrong with them anymore...but there WAS something wrong with them...and refurbs sell so fast! i never heard anything bad from people i know who have bought a refurb...refurb just means that they have corrected the problem(s) it had and it is back to factory new condition, but by law they must disclose that it is a refurb machine...
QUOTE Thanks
robghosh

robghosh is on a distinguished road

Typically, at least from what I understand, someone orders a mac, custom or standard, and when they get it they either don't like it, there's something wrong (hard drive, montior, etc) and they send it back. Apple fixes them and they go through a very stringent approval process and they put it on the refurb site. They can't sell it as new, even though, for all intents and purposes, they are. Because some of them are custom, the Apple Lottery comes into play. The techs fixing them might not be looking for everything that was added to them and put them up as a standard base unit... hence the lottery. I have had nothing go wrong with any of the three units I've bought from the refurb site... a 24 inch imac, a macbook and a mini. They all have the exact same warranty as well, so you really can't lose. Go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

Plus, the money I saved I bought 4 gb of ram and a time capsule, as well as a wireless keyboard & mighty mouse!!!

thats a good deal imo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« do you know ???? or have you heard | imac g3 help »