New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Static Electricity Discharge: Will It Harm My iMac 20"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebay

ebay is an unknown at this point

I just recently purchased an iMac 20" and it's working pretty good. I live in a dry climate and I'm constantly getting a discharge when I touch the keyboard (aluminum version).

I've never had a computer that had metal exposed like this and I'm wondering what my risks are? I've gotten pretty good about touching something metal before I work with it but it's happening at least once a day.

Can someone discuss whether the machine is somehow protected from discharges or any optional approaches. I may get one of those keyboard protectors to cut that source down. I may end up buying some other keyboard (though I love the aluminum one). Maybe a wireless one and a wireless mouse would isolate me from the machine. I want this computer to last a while.
QUOTE Thanks
ebay

ebay is an unknown at this point

OK, I'm going to answer my own post.

An interim solution that has cut the problem down 90% is a powerful humidifier. I've been running one for a couple of days now and I'm not getting the explosive static discharges I had been.

I'm also going to eventually glue down some foil on the edge of the table and connect it to a water pipe but this is taking more time to implement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« where to buy?? | Replacing my superdrive »