New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Is it possible to substitute a 24" iMac with..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TRVVVR

TRVVVR is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2/2

A Mac Mini + a TV such as a 26" flat screen Sony?

I am just weighing my options before I press submit (Again)..

I feel paying Around $1,900 for a new iMac is like paying a premium for having the 'all in one', which I am sure it is, no doubt, but being a finance student, I am interested in maximizing my dollar.

I previously had the Samsung 22" 226bw monitor hooked up to my Macbook, and it really looked like . Everything was exploded looking, and the colours were never accurate, no matter how many times I calibrated it.

The big question: What 24-26" Monitor could I hook up to a Mac Mini and receive optimal, if not better visual representation, than a 24" iMac?

Thanks from Toronto - Trevor
QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

No Tv is going to display as well as a computer monitor Trevor. There is a post on this somewhere around.

I just, 10 minutes ago ordered a 24" imac, and I don't think a mac mini and a tv would replace it at all.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The mini does not have a graphics card - it uses motherboard graphics. There is a big difference right there. Also, the iMac has faster processors than the Mini line, so the machine will run faster too.

The iMac is actually a pretty good deal when you consider everything that comes with it. I would get the iMac.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
TRVVVR

Great suggestions, thanks guys..

With that said, I have a pending order for a Refurbished iMac from Apple.. Should I cancel and buy new, or keep the order?

Feeling a little sketchy about that one..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I did a bit of research a while back about the whole TN VS IPS display panel debate. I read that a lot of 22" displays are using the cheaper TN panel. TN panels are not that good for color accuracy with pictures. I wonder if that is what you were seeing? My friend has a 22" WS display and on the surface it looks great but it's far from accurate in colors if you really compare it to a better display.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Samsung makes great TVs but bad LCD monitors. I wouldn't use a TV to replace a monitor. Video quality is actually worse because it's designed to reproduce motion not text.

The 24" iMac uses a far superior panel than your Samsung monitor. It's designed with color accuracy in mind.

I've bought refurbished. It's the smarter choice actually.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
I feel paying Around $1,900 for a new iMac is like paying a premium for having the 'all in one'
Quote:
I previously had the Samsung 22" 226bw monitor hooked up to my Macbook, and it really looked like . Everything was exploded looking, and the colours were never accurate, no matter how many times I calibrated it.
That's why you pay a premium for an all in one

I have a Samsung monitor and they are quite difficult to calibrate correctly. Plus it's a bit like playing russian roulette apparently: You either get an authentic "s" panel made by Samsung, or an "a" panel, which is a lot worse.
QUOTE Thanks
TRVVVR

Just completed the Refurb 24" imac purchase.. Should be here between the 8th-12th of may..

Thank you for all your input fellas.
-Trev
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Wow, that long?

I've bought a refurbished Mac that said it would ship in 3-5 days and it wound up shipping that day because I ordered it very early in the AM. Hopefully it will ship sooner than later.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
leopard99

leopard99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.6 ghz, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD 7200rpm, 15" glossy display

no tv is gonna look as good as a computer monitor.... however you can use a tv if you so wish by buying the necessary adaption cables... probably DVI to VGA. I would go with the bigger one if you had to too but make sure the contrast ratio is high and the pixel frames are fast. However, the iMac screen is sexy, stylish and has incredible picture quality and therefore your tv option wouldn't be better than that.
QUOTE Thanks
trademark

trademark has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm

Computer monitors have way higher pixel density than most HDTV monitors. And when it all comes down to it, pixel density is what determines the crispness of the monitor.

About the only things a high quality HDTV will have that's better than a computer monitor is contrast ratio and maybe color vividness. But with the new LED backlit iMac monitors I really don't think that's a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
TRVVVR

I am (as of 9 pm last night) using this might beast.. Very sexual this is..

Inspected the entire machine.. Everything is pristine. The only sketch issue was the OS install disk 1 was a little tattered and scratched.

Otherwise I would have easily been fooled it was new..

Don't worry, you'll hear back if anything goes wrong!

-T
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WTH?! Desktop erasures, changed dock and icons, confusion | Cable with new keyboard »