New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 Power Mac Upgrade Question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skipnroll

skipnroll is on a distinguished road

Hello:

I'm new to the forum and new to all things mac. I want to buy a cheap G4 Powermac from eBay and make needed upgrades as time goes on (Keep in mind this is for learning purposes). Can a single CPU powermac be upgraded with those dual cpu upgrades like this one? Thanks In Advance.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the Forums.

Firstly yes you can upgrade a Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio or Quicksilver model with that CPU upgrade. There are quite a few brands on the market so do your research prior to rushing in. Sometimes OWC, a Mac supplier, has specials on their upgrades and personally believe their upgrades with 2MB L3 cache are faster.

Suggest you look for a Quicksilver machine. They have a 133MHz system bus speed , faster than the earlier models which are only 100MHz, and have a 4X AGP slot compared to a 2X.

Max out the RAM to 1.5GB, 3 x 512MB PC 133 Apple compatible low density RAM. Generally the PC RAM on eBay will not work. After that,. if thew readies are holding out, look for a 7200 RPM 16MB cache HDD and a faster graphics card.
QUOTE Thanks
skipnroll

skipnroll is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Glad to hear that. I'm not one to go for the latest and greatest, not until I need it and like I said; I'm new to Macs and must learn. Thanks again. BTW, what a great forum this is.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Yep it is a top forum with 99% of contributors being very helpful and no flaming. Send a private message if can help further. Just click ob ny name and options pop up!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new G3/G4 need Upgrade Advise | Sound card compatibility »