New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Are Intel Imacs 32 or 64 bit??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

Are the current range of intel based iMacs 32 or 64 bit CPU's?

I'm a web designer and some of the software that I use is available for both 32 and 64 bit, I just wanted to check before downloading.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

They are 64 bit CPUs, ever since the G5 (before Intel) the OS has been fully 64 bit but backward compatible with 32 bit
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

I have two apps to download MYSQL and Coldfusion, would you download the 64 bit versions then?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Assuming you have an Intel mac and 10.4 or higher (you have those) then , yes - your systems CPU and OS will run that bit quicker with the 64 bit versions.
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Yes I have leopard and one of the current intel imacs, will they just work these apps?

I know with windows you can need special 64 bit drivers etc
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

you need those with windows because 32bit is still pretty much the 'norm'

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/64bit.html

Remember, Microsoft tends to make things complicated, Apple tries to make things simple. MYSQL and Coldfusion 64 bit will most definitely work
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Thanks very much for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
itsalam

itsalam is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if in the case when i want to install wnidows 7 on an imac which has a windows 64 bit is it possible?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalam View Post
Does anyone know if in the case when i want to install wnidows 7 on an imac which has a windows 64 bit is it possible?
It depends on the vintage of your iMac.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Boot Camp: Macs that work with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« If You Were Going to Spend $800 on a Used iMac | Mini »