New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Slow Mac Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kazoh0lic

kazoh0lic is on a distinguished road

For some reason after the new updates my computer has been running slow.

I have an iMac 24 inch, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB Ram. I also running Leopard.

Even when I am running relatively nothing, things seem to slow down a bit and stop responding. Especially when watching videos online, it stops playing the video in some parts while the sound keeps going. My Firefox app has crashed a few times and doesn't seem to close properly. None of this happened in the past, even when using more stuff at the same time. What could be the cause of this?
QUOTE Thanks
rob.h

rob.h will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD

Open up your Applications folder, then open the Utilities folder and launch Activity Monitor. Have a look and see if anything is eating up your CPU cycles. You can sort the list in order of how much CPU each task is using by clicking on the column heading. Also make sure you have All Processes selected in the drop-down list. This may give a clue if there's some background task slowing things down.

The problem with streaming video is that there's also stuff external to your iMac that can impact it's performance, so it's worth checking out performance using a variety of sources or different websites.

Have you upgraded to the latest version of Firefox (2.0.0.14) to see if that helps?
QUOTE Thanks
kazoh0lic

I have mate. There is nothing especially draining at all. There was this thing that surprised me with a Microsoft program that's 'Kind' was "Power PC' and since mine is Intel Core 2 Duo I stopped the process to see what would happen. Essentially, nothing did. Still the same.

It's simply that the computer has become a lot slower and less responsive than before. Whilst I am doing not much more than I used to be doing just a few days before.

And yes, I have the latest Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
kazoh0lic

I just tried changing about 10 album covers and it took like 2 minutes to do whereas a week ago this was a 5 seconds max task.

Would really like to know what is going on.
QUOTE Thanks
colugo

colugo is on a distinguished road

This sounds exactly the same sort of problem I've been having since the latest EFI firmware update amongst others. My mac is desperately slow to respond to even the simplest of tasks, takes ages to come out of sleep and has now had 3 complete crashes in one morning. I've not installed any new software since the update. The only thing I've done is change the Time Machine drive to a larger capacity (but I'm having the problems with that drive either on or off). It's driving me mad and I just want to go back to the machine as it was the other week when it zipped along no problems.

I have a new iMac 20" Intel Core 2 2.4GHz 2MB Ram so it really shouldn't slow up just using Firefox and iTunes!
QUOTE Thanks
loric

loric is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem. It can take 2-3 minutes for something to open once I click on it. It takes so long that I can never tell if it's frozen or still working on opening it. Even if I try to open the hard drive. It happens all the time, even if I have nothing open and I have just started up the computer. It's still under AppleCare so I may just send it in. It worked fine until about the time I installed Leopard, but I have re-installed that and is has not improved.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You guys have completely powered down and restarted your iMacs right?

The last few updates have caused serious lag after being installed. A power down and restart fixes it every time.
QUOTE Thanks
kazoh0lic

How do you power down and restart? You mean turn the computer off? Reboot it? If so, I've done that. If not, could you direct me?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Click "Apple/Shut Down". Shut it off a a few minutes and start it back up. Can't hurt. Although I have to admit I'm not sure it does anything a "Restart" doesn't do, I'd give it a try.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Yep, just making sure you haven't just put it to sleep since, instead of a proper shutdown.
QUOTE Thanks
matt1985

matt1985 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoh0lic View Post
IThere was this thing that surprised me with a Microsoft program that's 'Kind' was "Power PC' and since mine is Intel Core 2 Duo I stopped the process to see what would happen.
are you still using Office 04 on your imac?
that wasnt a program designed for the intel chips hence why it shows up as a PPC program, Office 08 is universal so it shows up at Intel.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

This post might help you. I ran this script and my MB picked up a little pep in its step!

QUOTE Thanks
kazoh0lic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1985 View Post
are you still using Office 04 on your imac?
that wasnt a program designed for the intel chips hence why it shows up as a PPC program, Office 08 is universal so it shows up at Intel.
No mate, I have the newest Office.

Also, I have shut down my computer a few times in fact. No difference.
QUOTE Thanks
kazoh0lic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
This post might help you. I ran this script and my MB picked up a little pep in its step!
Thanks, but I've used apps to already run those scripts.

I am quite confused and am thinking of starting over. The lags are seriously a bother. To know why they've happened would be good for preventing them later on also.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoh0lic View Post
Thanks, but I've used apps to already run those scripts.

I am quite confused and am thinking of starting over. The lags are seriously a bother. To know why they've happened would be good for preventing them later on also.
I understand. I wouldn't want to go that route, either. But I wouldn't hesitate if I thought it would remedy the situation.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aluminum iMac Connection to HDTV | new G3/G4 need Upgrade Advise »