New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - £799 iMac - any good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hughes051

hughes051 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me if the imac 20" version is any good for converting videos, stream media to the xbox 360 and pictures and broswering the net ie banking ebay my website.

as I been told that if i get the 2.4 24" or 2.8 24" I would not use the power of the machine and it would be a waste of money or is it still the rule bigger the better

I will be a complete new user to the imac and intel as I have always had a pc

Thx
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The 20" 2.0Ghz has 0.4Ghz less speed than the 24" or the more expensive 20", but you'll never ever notice it. It just means an hour's video encosing would be a couple of minutes faster for example, but that's about it. In everyday use there is no difference.

The lower end 20" also has a slower video card. Unless you play games, you won't notice any difference either.

All iMacs made in the last 5 or so years will be able to do the tasks you mention in their sleep.

Unless you want a massive screen, the 20" £799 iMac will be perfect for you.
QUOTE Thanks
R2-JD

R2-JD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum 24" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1Gig RAM; 500gb Time Capsule; 16gb iPod Touch

I am new to the Mac as well, we just got ours in February. My thoughts were go big or go home so we got the 24" iMac. Loving every minute of it. Yes I will never use all the power, but it doesn't hurt to have it there.

Also I wanted the 24" iMac because I researched the two before we purchased and found the 24" has a higher resolution monitor and better video card. Plus it's freakin' huge.

JD
QUOTE Thanks
hughes051

OK so if i put up the intel 2.0 gig vs the pc version with the same spec which would be better at all the above even tho i been told to get the 20" £799 version as this will do the job i want to do but my gut feeling is to get the 24" 2.8 extream but if i spend £1400+ on the mac I could get a quad core pc ( no intenstion of purchaing a pc ) but which would be better were should I spend my money and not for getting i am a total new to the mac and had a pc for over 15 years etc and would like to move platform should i be thinking like a pc big is better?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough

Bigger is sometimes better, but from a financial point of view it would make no sense going for the 2.8Ghz. You won't notice the extra speed - it's really for people into video editing or 3D rendering. Even then you'll only knock off a few minutes off intensive video encoding.

Macs don't suffer the same obsolesence as PCs. You can happily use OS X Leopard on a 867Mhz G4 Mac from 6 years ago.
QUOTE Thanks
hughes051

looks like the 20" £799 then but i would like the "24 tft
QUOTE Thanks
Northants Rob

Northants Rob is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes051 View Post
looks like the 20" 799 then but i would like the "24 tft
You'll be fine - I have the 20" (2.4Ghz) and it's great - no problems at all with the screen. I did look at the 24" but it would have looked ridiculously large on my computer desk. Just my thoughts...
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Are you near an Apple store? You could go and look in person.
QUOTE Thanks
hughes051

yea i been to the apple store in birminham
QUOTE Thanks
timestoby

timestoby is on a distinguished road

why not just get the mac mini and get a 24' monitor.after all i dont think ur gonna need a dedicated card.
QUOTE Thanks
Phil Lee

Phil Lee is on a distinguished road

Have you considered getting a refurb? I got a 24" 2.4GHz iMac 4 weeks ago from the Apple Store for £949 including delivery. Apart from the brown box it came in I couldn't tell that it was a refurb, everything looked brand new to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Avenged Origami

Avenged Origami is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig

im gonna go the refurb way why not??? save money for the same thing..
also better for the environment

"mighty boosh rules" the panda knows best...
QUOTE Thanks
ebay

ebay is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northants Rob View Post
You'll be fine - I have the 20" (2.4Ghz) and it's great - no problems at all with the screen. I did look at the 24" but it would have looked ridiculously large on my computer desk. Just my thoughts...
Boy, I stewed over this for a couple of nights then I got my 20" home. It seems to have grown larger or something. It didn't look that big in the store. I live in a little place and it seems huge on my counter top.
QUOTE Thanks
hughes051

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay View Post
Boy, I stewed over this for a couple of nights then I got my 20" home. It seems to have grown larger or something. It didn't look that big in the store. I live in a little place and it seems huge on my counter top.

Yep same here I thought th 20" was going to be small but decided to go with the 20" got it home and bang i said wow that`s a big monitor so glad i got it my imac 20"
QUOTE Thanks
J_K

J_K will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD

It looked small compared to the 24"..

I've got my macbook on my desk next to a 19"monitor and a 15" monitor and it looks tiny.

But when I'm away from my desk and just using the mac it's plenty big enough.

First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
Next a macbook.
Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse Drivers for Mac | do i go for a preowned Mac »