New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - PC to Mac advise needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hughes051

hughes051 is on a distinguished road

OK, this question has not doubt been ask 1000`s of times so I sorry to ask such a noob question,

I have been a PC user for around 20 years or so and I am geting tried of upgrading and spending lots of money well no more......

What I want to do is convert videos so i can stream them to the xbox 360 ( a app called connect360 should do this for me I hope) and i want to mess around with pictures and surf the internet and do my website. I a very good friend who has advise me on a mac but which one there are so many versions

I was looking at the 24" i mac 2.8 intel core 2 duo but I would never use the power and i be ok with the 20" imac 2.0 or 2.4 intel dore 2 duo

I am not looking to play games as i have an xbox 360 all i want is a computer that never breaks or gets a virus or have to down load drivers for this app etc or pice of hardwere.

can anyone answer these for me

1 is the Mac O/S 64bit how much memory will i need or what do you adivse
2 I belive you can still use windows vista ? if so can yo pick up virus this way will you be able to play pc games if i want to ?

3 The wife uses Microsoft Office is Mac office compatable

4 Can the Mac be upgrading in anyway if needed

5 Thie wife gets a good discount so I will get a imac 24" 2.8 i get for around 1250 in stead of over 1400 but is it to power full for what i to do

Thanks for reading I look forward to using the mac in the next few weeks
QUOTE Thanks
RobertC

RobertC will become famous soon enough

1. Amount of RAM is your choice. You may find that the RAM that comes as standard will be enough. Otherwise read part 4.
2. Windows XP / Vista can be installed using Boot Camp, which ships with Leopard or you can buy an app to run it inside OS X
3. There are three options: Microsoft Office, Apple iWork and NeoOffice / OpenOffice. NeoOffice and OpenOffice are free and open source both of which work very well. NeoOffice does look better than OpenOffice.
4. There is a RAM access door on the back of the iMac. Buy your RAM from Crucial and fit it yourself. It is so much cheaper.
5. I like the big 24 inch screen but for the price a 2.4 processor should be fine
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

1. yes it is 64 bit, has been fully 64 bit since 10.4 Tiger

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/64bit.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dead iMac into fish tank | Is the Power Mac G5 still a viable machine? »