New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PC owner. Need some push to switch to Mac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imakshar

well, I am a PC user since last 7 years but always had a fascination for MAC. Now is the time I can switch as I am looking for a new Desktop for my old PC replacement. I am not going to spend a big amout of money but I think 17" iMac with few changes sounds resoanable enough. I was reading some reviews and 2 things that concern me the most are listed here.

1. 256MB ram is too law. I would like to make it to 512MB. Now the question I have is, how easy it is to install it by my self ? And in doing so, would I be voiding the warrenty by opening the machine ?

2. On lot of reviews, there is a big concern about the screen. As it is a part of the body, they say once your screen goes bad you have to thraw away the entire machine even if it is working fine. Not sure how accurate they are in it. But it does raise a point of spending a significat amount of money and than not lasting long enough.

Please help me with these concerns as you guys are pro in this product and have much more experience.

thanks a lot,
imakshar.
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakshar

1. 256MB ram is too law. I would like to make it to 512MB. Now the question I have is, how easy it is to install it by my self ?
damm easy.. if you watch keynote paris, they will show you how.. but i can tell you.. the imac(assuming that its the g5 like what u said) whet u have to do, is to lie it down , its screen facing the surface of the table.. then where the speakers are, there r 3 screws.. unscrew them, slide the back towards you and whalla!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah 256 is too low, but like he mentioned it is really easy to install your memory. As for the screen, purchase Apple Care so that you will be covered for 3 years. I have a Powerbook and I have had it for almost 4 years now and my screen is still going strong and with the laptops you're practically in the same boat as with the iMac and eMac.. they are built to last.
QUOTE Thanks
imakshar

Cool so that is the goodnews that it is real easy to install more RAM later. But still my question is unanswered that if I do that than I have to open the box. And that will void the warrenty or any protection right ? Or still it is good to go ?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The new imac is designed to be user servable. So you should be able to install memory with out voiding the warrenty.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Just be careful to touch the metal chassis parts before anything else while it's open (discharge static) :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

All you have to do is find an Apple Retail Store near you and go play with the various machines for a couple of hours, trust me, you'll be ready to take one home with you before you leave the store.

I bought my iMac in June (former PC user) and stopped by the Apple Store last night to just 'look' at the new iBooks, well guess what, my special order iBook will be ready next Thursday. LOL

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
Mile High

Mile High is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, G4 PowerMac, PowerMac 8600

I just bought the new iMac, purchased an addtl. 256M Ram from the Apple store, took about 5 minutes to install. Just make sure to touch the power supply to disipate any static charge. The owners manual is very clear on how to do this.

Get AppleCare for peace of mind. Like car insurance, you never know when you may need it.

You will love the new iMac!!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I can't wait to get my iMac G5!
QUOTE Thanks
markceltic

I recently had to calm the" nerves" of a recent switcher.Well she hadn't used a mac since '92 I think it was a LC 111,since then they were using Win98.I'm sure everyone can appreciate the money factor when buying a new system so their fears are only normal.This being the first time they've bought brand new! They ordered the base G5 iMac btw.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Certain to be happy with it. I know I am as a recent switcher to a G4! :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
sonicj

its a completely different beast than the pc. i couldn't see myself switching solely though. macs are expensive and scarily proprietary. i like to tinker, build, etc. i have a mac for tinkering (gigabit/ethernet powermac) and a mac specificly for work (ibook for dj'ing). i use my pc for most everything though. its just more practicle for me.
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

To anyone thinking of switching to Mac I would say do it now !
Simply because the iMac and OS X are the best user experience there is .

An example of this was yesterday when a friend of mine asked me to sort out her "Microspores" machine so that she could download music on it .
I thought iTunes will do the job . However the download and installation of it seemed to take forever .

Then I thought I would check my website while I was waiting ( I have never viewed it on a PC ) . So this I did using IE . The site looked like crap all the pics were grainy and it took forever to load .

The PC by the way was a Pentium 4 , 2.4 Ghz, 512MB RAM (Compared to my iMac 233Mhz Bondi baby) .

Now on Safari on my iMac this site looks good . So just to be sure I looked at some other sites i usually view (Yes I looked at Mac-Forum ) and they all looked like crap on the PC . I am now trying to get my friend to buy a Mac .

So to anyone thinking of swapping take this fools advice and DO IT NOW !!!

Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
The new imac is designed to be user servable. So you should be able to install memory with out voiding the warrenty.
But only if you install official user installable parts from the apple store. If you buy 3rd party RAM you're not covered.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Just be careful to touch the metal chassis parts before anything else while it's open (discharge static) :alien:
opps forgot that..assuming that u live in a cold country, chances of static electricity is HIGHER..so try looking for the powersupply, touch all yr ten fingers on it and then carry on..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't initalize disc cuz says its full? | Im gonna get killed...:) »