New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Output Video and Audio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davidcoad

davidcoad is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to output video to a HDMI compliant TV and optical sound to a 5.1 receiver on a current model Imac, that was easily switched on and off when in use on the TV through a universal remote?

I want to integrate the Imac into the Home Theatre system so I have to access content through my TV.

I was interested in the hardware side before looking into better media centre software etc

Thanks

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
stevensm925

stevensm925 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8 intel...

Dave,

As far as I know, the only way to connect your iMac to your TV is via the mini-dv to VGA adaptor (and a VGA cable). I think HDMI is a long way off...

As for audio, I am currently using a Y-jack (mini headphone to RCA) to connect to my A/V receiver. This is how I have connected my PowerBooks to receivers in the past and works pretty well. However, it always seemed to me that the sound is somehow... compressed, for lack of a better term. My assumption has always been that the connection is the reason.

The output jack on the back of the iMac is referred to in the iMac manual as: "Headphone out / optical digital audio out port."

Do you (or anyone) know if there is a special "optical" connection for this?

Thanks,

Steve
QUOTE Thanks
davidcoad

davidcoad is on a distinguished road

It is a mini-toslink/optical connection, you can either get a toslink cable with this connector or buy an adaptor that goes on the end of a normal toslink cable so it fits in a 3.5mm plug.

It could also be called a 3.5mm optical cable.

I think I need to just get an Apple TV but as Im in Australia we dont get the movie downloads or rentals like the US. We only just started getting TV shows and only a small number.

I considered a third party media streaming device but none seem to have the seemless experience of an apple product.

Anyone seem any good media streamers?

Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacing the battery in an iMac DV | MDD Questions »