New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - About to buy a 20 or 24in iMac...Some ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ensyed

ensyed is on a distinguished road

I am contemplating buying either a 20 or 24in iMac. It will be used as a family computer. It will sit in the hallway near the entry for family members to use. Everyone's calendar will be on it. Kids will play some games (elementary school age kids)

1) Do you think a 20in is big enough or should I spring for the 24in?

2) Does it have built in speakers?

3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

24" The LCD panel in the 20" is not very good. A quick google search will tell you why. Upgrading RAM is simple. Unscrew a simple panel and you're in. It does have built-in speakers.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

I second what bryphotoguy said. The 24 is a much nicer screen.
QUOTE Thanks
AJB

AJB is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!

I bought a 2.8 Gb 24" for the same reason as you. The backlighting is better on the 24" screen than the 20" and it is much better as a work space. Go for the 24".

Extra memory is very easy to add. Just slots in underneath. Crucial or whatever, in matched pair, is FAR cheaper than Apple branded memory.

It does have built in speakers. If you want really good sound though you will have to spring for some external ones.
QUOTE Thanks
mreg376

mreg376 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
I am contemplating buying either a 20 or 24in iMac. It will be used as a family computer. It will sit in the hallway near the entry for family members to use. Everyone's calendar will be on it. Kids will play some games (elementary school age kids)

3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago.

Thanks
So you're thinking of plopping down $1800+ on an Imac but haven't even read the basic specs on the Apple website?
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

spring for the 24
yes!
3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago. Yes it is, and will not void the warranty

Thanks

I just purchased the 2.8 24" 500gb 2gb RAM, about 3 weeks ago. this computer is absolutely amazing. the reason i bought the 24 inch was because the picture quality was better than the 20 inch. In the end, i was really happy i went with the 24, because with the remote control, it works great as a 2nd tv for my bedroom. and with itunes now doing movie rentals, it really is a great media device as well. Good luck with what ever you choose, as i am sure you will be happy with either one.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

I bought my 20" iMac at BestBuy. They had the 20" and the 24" side by said and I used both. I honestly thought the display on the 20" had more even lighting on it. The 24" seemed to have patches on either side where the lighting was uneven.

I also thought the 24" was too big for my needs. I was shocked at how big it actually is.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

i think i heard somewhere that the older 24" had that issue, but its fixed now. LOL the 24" looks very large on a desk!
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
i think i heard somewhere that the older 24" had that issue, but its fixed now. LOL the 24" looks very large on a desk!
Well this was only a week and a half ago at BestBuy, the same time I bought my 20" so this was a new one.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
ensyed

ensyed is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I tried to read the specs but did not see any mention of speakers on the Apple UK website

I ended up getting the 20in because the 24in was going to be about $600 more and since it will be used by kids I could not bring myself to run the risk of something even more expensive being destroyed. Plus the 24in will be too big for the entrance hallway, where its going to sit.... next to the kitchen. It will not get used as a TV at all.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
Thanks everyone. I tried to read the specs but did not see any mention of speakers on the Apple UK website

I ended up getting the 20in because the 24in was going to be about $600 more and since it will be used by kids I could not bring myself to run the risk of something even more expensive being destroyed. Plus the 24in will be too big for the entrance hallway, where its going to sit.... next to the kitchen. It will not get used as a TV at all.
I know you will love that iMac! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the displays on the latest 20" and they run smoothly. Did you get any extra Ram to add to it? I bought 2GB of the Apple ram when I bought mine for a total of 3GB.

Anyways, enjoy!

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

congrats on your purchase! your going to love it.
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

also, the only problem i saw with the 20" when i bought mine 3 weeks ago, is that the backlighting was not as even as on the 24". it was slightly brighter towards the bottom and was Extremely hard to even notice. I am not sure why the 24" you saw had patchy backlighting, there must have been something wrong. Mine is perfect
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The 20" is fine. I've been chuffed with mine ever since I bought it in August.
QUOTE Thanks
Dylan1984

Dylan1984 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard

The 20" is mint - glad you went for it. I have had absolutely no issues with the screen. The 24" is way too big!

AC/DC BON SCOTT ERA RULES!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac is Dead | Did I Break the Mac mini? »