Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question About to buy a 20 or 24in iMac...Some ???
    I am contemplating buying either a 20 or 24in iMac. It will be used as a family computer. It will sit in the hallway near the entry for family members to use. Everyone's calendar will be on it. Kids will play some games (elementary school age kids)

1) Do you think a 20in is big enough or should I spring for the 24in?

2) Does it have built in speakers?

3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    24" The LCD panel in the 20" is not very good. A quick google search will tell you why. Upgrading RAM is simple. Unscrew a simple panel and you're in. It does have built-in speakers.

January 2008 Member of the Month

I second what bryphotoguy said. The 24 is a much nicer screen.

Specs:
    iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
    I bought a 2.8 Gb 24" for the same reason as you. The backlighting is better on the 24" screen than the 20" and it is much better as a work space. Go for the 24".

Extra memory is very easy to add. Just slots in underneath. Crucial or whatever, in matched pair, is FAR cheaper than Apple branded memory.

It does have built in speakers. If you want really good sound though you will have to spring for some external ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
    I am contemplating buying either a 20 or 24in iMac. It will be used as a family computer. It will sit in the hallway near the entry for family members to use. Everyone's calendar will be on it. Kids will play some games (elementary school age kids)

3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago.

Thanks
    So you're thinking of plopping down $1800+ on an Imac but haven't even read the basic specs on the Apple website?

spring for the 24
    yes!
    3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago. Yes it is, and will not void the warranty

Thanks

I just purchased the 2.8 24" 500gb 2gb RAM, about 3 weeks ago. this computer is absolutely amazing. the reason i bought the 24 inch was because the picture quality was better than the 20 inch. In the end, i was really happy i went with the 24, because with the remote control, it works great as a 2nd tv for my bedroom. and with itunes now doing movie rentals, it really is a great media device as well. Good luck with what ever you choose, as i am sure you will be happy with either one.

I bought my 20" iMac at BestBuy. They had the 20" and the 24" side by said and I used both. I honestly thought the display on the 20" had more even lighting on it. The 24" seemed to have patches on either side where the lighting was uneven.

I also thought the 24" was too big for my needs. I was shocked at how big it actually is.
    20" iMac aluminum
    13" MBP
    3 iPhones

i think i heard somewhere that the older 24" had that issue, but its fixed now. LOL the 24" looks very large on a desk!

Quote Originally Posted by TWM View Post
    i think i heard somewhere that the older 24" had that issue, but its fixed now. LOL the 24" looks very large on a desk!
    Well this was only a week and a half ago at BestBuy, the same time I bought my 20" so this was a new one.
    20" iMac aluminum
    13" MBP
    3 iPhones

Thanks everyone. I tried to read the specs but did not see any mention of speakers on the Apple UK website

I ended up getting the 20in because the 24in was going to be about $600 more and since it will be used by kids I could not bring myself to run the risk of something even more expensive being destroyed. Plus the 24in will be too big for the entrance hallway, where its going to sit.... next to the kitchen. It will not get used as a TV at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
    Thanks everyone. I tried to read the specs but did not see any mention of speakers on the Apple UK website

I ended up getting the 20in because the 24in was going to be about $600 more and since it will be used by kids I could not bring myself to run the risk of something even more expensive being destroyed. Plus the 24in will be too big for the entrance hallway, where its going to sit.... next to the kitchen. It will not get used as a TV at all.
    I know you will love that iMac! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the displays on the latest 20" and they run smoothly. Did you get any extra Ram to add to it? I bought 2GB of the Apple ram when I bought mine for a total of 3GB.

Anyways, enjoy!
    20" iMac aluminum
    13" MBP
    3 iPhones

congrats on your purchase! your going to love it.

also, the only problem i saw with the 20" when i bought mine 3 weeks ago, is that the backlighting was not as even as on the 24". it was slightly brighter towards the bottom and was Extremely hard to even notice. I am not sure why the 24" you saw had patchy backlighting, there must have been something wrong. Mine is perfect

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    The 20" is fine. I've been chuffed with mine ever since I bought it in August.

Specs:
    iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard
    The 20" is mint - glad you went for it. I have had absolutely no issues with the screen. The 24" is way too big!

AC/DC BON SCOTT ERA RULES!!!

Thread Information