Replacing a G4's powersupply?

I've replaced plenty of PC power supplies, but this is the first time I've had to do it to a G4. Do they need a special kind of PSU, or will any old ATX unit work? I'm looking to order the parts from Newegg, so I need to know if a non-Mac-specific PSU would work.

m19

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    No, unfortunatly, the power supply is, like most other parts, Mac-specific. A PC powersupply, doesn't have all needed voltages the Mac needs, and they also are physically different, it wouldn't even fit in the Macs case.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    No, unfortunatly, the power supply is, like most other parts, Mac-specific. A PC powersupply, doesn't have all needed voltages the Mac needs, and they also are physically different, it wouldn't even fit in the Macs case.
    Someone on another board said you can use other power supplies as long as they match the specs of the original powersupply. Though if the size is an issue, I suppose it'd have to be G4-specific.

(EDIT-) Eeek. I was looking around at G4-specific PSUs and didn't realize they'd be so expensive!

m19

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    The PowerMac's power supply has one +25V contact...as far as I remember, neither AT nor ATX power supplies have a 25V power output.

Thread Information