View Single Post
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Here's my personal opinion - so for what it's worth:

Get what your comfortable with, but for heavens sake, don't get an HP consumer grade machine.

There are a lot of great laptops out there on both sides of the computing world. The core i7 in laptops has some great potential, but HP, honestly, has got a terrible rep when it comes to laptops - they break faster, they tend to have poor cooling (ie: they overheat), they're loaded with bloatware, etc.

Here's just one article on the topic:

Laptop reliability survey: ASUS and Toshiba win, HP fails -- Engadget

I honestly don't care what you get - Windows or Mac, I have and use both (windows laptop for gaming, Mac computer/laptop for my other day to day stuff) - you need to get what works for you.

ps - I should note - if you decide to look at an Asus, if you're looking at the G series that has the i7 (Gx1A), you might want to check the forums at http://www.notebookforums.com/ for Asus - their gaming series core i7 unit had some BSoD issues under certain circumstances - this may have been worked out now, but I don't know - all I know is that when I was looking at either a core2duo or i7 last year, there were some problems with the i7 - I ended up getting a C2D asus gaming laptop (slightly older version that was more in my budget range)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks