View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Nope.

Starbucks uses a router as well. So does the hotel. Indeed, so does everyone with broadband. This is simply not an issue for Mac owners, because the things you should be conscious of regarding security on a public network (unencrypted passwords, etc) are not dealt with by a software firewall. At all.
Sure, but if someone is probing you on a public network (i.e. one of the other machines on the same LAN), your computer is going to be responsive. Additionally, if someone happens to join a LAN and is infected with a worm that your machine is vulnerable to, you're at risk.

In my professional experience as a network admin for more than a decade now, I'll have to humbly disagree with you on this point. Sure, if you're having connectivity problems, by all means, don't run a software firewall. But I can tell you that I've had my software firewall turned on and in stealth mode both on my Windows machines and my Macs for quite a long time now and never have I had an issue that was directly attributable to the firewall being turned on. With that said, I have had to repair customer machines infected by worms that exploited a zero-day vulnerability in Windows that would otherwise have been safe if they were firewalled at the client. In particular, the CodeRed and Blaster worms should have been a wake-up call to any Windows user considering not running a software firewall. Those worms were the reason that MS finally forced the firewall on by default when they released SP2 for XP.

In my opinion, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - especially with Apple's lackadaisical attitude toward patching security vulnerabilities.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks