View Single Post
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Running the repair from the OS X install dvd is totally fine. You will not lose any data from your hard drive.

To access it you boot your mac up with the C key down as you have done. And then after a while a screen somes up. Pich the language you want to read and press ok. Then on the next screen forget about the main part of it. You are not re-installing OS X. In the menus there on the top of the screen, well on one of the menus is a thing called "Disk Utility". Select that and it will open the "Disk Utility" app and from there you can repair and varify your Hard drive. You can also erase it and so other things too so just becareful on what you click so you don't erase anything. But honestly it's really easy to use and almost no one makes mistakes here.

And after you repair your hard drive it will tell you if the drive is ok or not.

Mind you I do not know if using a Install disc (with a system on it) different to the OS on the computer will do anything bad? Though I'm sure the earlier install discs would have a disk utility attuned to it's system and not the system you are using now. I would seruiously look into getting a SL dvd. They are cheap and really help with these kind of issues.

If you're still worried ring up apple care when they are opened. And they might be able to help also.
QUOTE Thanks