View Single Post
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Easy solution - if your drive is full, just get another external drive, format it for FAT32 or HFS+, then copy all of your footage off of your drive you took with you onto the new drive. Once it's on the new drive that is either HFS+ or FAT32, you'll have no problem reading/writing/etc.

Your only issue right now is that the existing external is formatted in a way that OSX can't write to. You could install NTFS-3G, but as this is what I would deem critical footage that is irreplaceable, to me, it'd be worth it to just get a second drive, and copy the footage off.

It would seriously help if you had a firewire drive to be your scratch drive - although it is possible to edit HD footage using a USB drive, it's not the most pleasant thing in the world. FireWire is your cheapest option - you don't require a raid, you don't require SCSI, you don't require Fibre Channel, you don't require SerialATA - these things make it more pleasant to edit with the software because of the speed and throughput that the technologies offer but not everyone can afford such beasts. With you having a Macbook Pro you should have a firewire port, if new enough, it's a FW800 port which will be great. You can get an external drive chassis that supports FW400, FW800, USB and eSATA for not too much money and buy a nice 7200rpm drive to put into it and connect it to your laptop. Then connect your existing drive, make sure the drive connected via FW is formatted for HFS+ (you'll really need it HFS to edit with since FC creates HUGE files which exceed the max file size of FAT32 when working with HD footage), and set as your scratch drive.

Then import the footage from your other drive into your project, it should copy it over if you're able to use log and transfer, if it doesn't copy it over for you, you can always copy the files over yourself.

This is not a total disaster, and is recoverable.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks