View Single Post
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

to BenB: you are referring to FCS, the poster was asking about FCE.

to lol mahmood: some FX Plug will not be compatible with that Black MacBook (which comes with an intel GMA chipset for graphics), other than that it will work. I don't know of a list anywhere that specifies what will not be compatible. I had called Apple about it once when I was looking for a laptop, and they couldn't give me a complete answer either. (see the specifications for FCE here: Apple - Final Cut Express - Technical Specifications on the right hand side in the dark gray area it talks about GPU requirements)

Any Mac with a 9400m or better will work with FCE. It'd be easier to get as much machine as you can afford to give yourself growth room tho (in case you ever do want to move to FCS). Obviously, a machine with FireWire is what you want (which excludes the current base MacBook in which they removed firewire completely), preferably FW800 (which excludes the older (early 2009, late 2008 unibody) MacBooks which had FW400 - older ones also had FW400, but aside from early 2009 and late 2008 unibody, none had the 9400m) and limits you to the MacBook Pro line.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks