Member Since: Nov 16, 2009
Location: North Louisiana, USA
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 6+
12-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Sorry I hadn't answered sooner. Missed this post somehow and didn't notice your update until I stumbled upon the rep bump you left for me (thanks).
There were a number of G4 firmware updates over the years and not all updates apply to all models. I think you can get to the right updates by doing the following:
1. Go to the Support Downloads Page http://support.apple.com/downloads/#%22g4%20firmware%20update%22
2. Open System Profiler on your computer.
3. In the main hardware section should be an entry for Model Identifier (such as MacBook Pro 5.1)
4. Go back to the software support page and enter your model identifier into the search phrase.
5. This should return firmware updates that might be relevant to your machine.
At this point Apple has done users a huge favor. When you attempt to install a firmware update it generally won't install if you don't need the update or it is the wrong one. Check the read me files though just in case there are some specific installation procedures for the updates.