View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808///M3 View Post
THE PROBLEM: Resource leakage, system slowdown, and slow/choppy Flash video playback while pegging CPU utilization for Flash Player, as observed in the Activity Monitor.

THE CAUSE: MAGIC MOUSE drivers. Yes, the Wireless Mouse update is the cause. With the update installed, the problem will occur as long as the mouse is paired with the Mac.

It will occur REGARDLESS if:

- The Magic Mouse is in standby mode
- The mouse is switched off via power switch underneath
- The mouse is disconnected under the Bluetooth drop down menu at top of screen

The reason I'm reporting the Wireless Mouse Update as the culprit is:

I have a 13" unibody MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and purchased a Magic Mouse online. Received it yesterday - Monday, November 2nd, and updated the Wireless Mouse driver files via Software Update under the Apple menu.

After the update, I noticed the same Flash Player problems mentioned online, and indeed, System Monitor showed about 104% utilization. Flash videos appeared to be running with 1/2 to 1/3 frame rates.
While this could be a convincing argument, you haven't provided any proof. Simply stating that the problem occurred and ceased with the addition and removal of drivers could very well be construed as spurious logic. Do you have any objective proof to substantiate your claim? Even something as simple as output from Activity Monitor would lend some credence to your argument.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you haven't provided the names of any specific tasks that caused the high CPU usage nor have you linked these unnamed tasks to the operation of the mouse. My main reason for being skeptical, aside from the lack of concrete evidence, is that this is the first I have heard of this issue.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post