View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpm9913 View Post
WOW!!! Nick, that worked!! I shut down the computer with the monitor still connected, then opened it up with it connected and problem solved!! No flickering on and off AT ALL, even ONCE! and no flickering afterwards either so far!

No one has come close to solving the problem, not Mac Medic (local bay area authorized Mac repair experts), not Apple, not my THX engineer friend, or two computer consultants.

So, other than understanding what you know and others don't, what do i do NOW?? Your solution resolves when I shut down and open up the SAME external monitor. What about when I am going to shut down and open up to the OTHER monitor. I suppose I should plug in the other monitor before I turn on the MBP, but when I shut down the first monitor, should I keep it plugged in or unplug it before shutting down!!??

Thanks again for coming up with at working solution!

Paul
Paul,

Congrats on finding a solution...and knowing that you probably don't have any hardware problems.

As to your question about the other monitor...firstly you could run the same "experiment"...and I'm going to guess you will get the same positive results.

Here is most likely the explanation that I posted earlier:

"Because you have two different external monitors, and because it sounds like you are constantly switching between these 2 external monitors (home & work). This (blinking) may be a "syncing step" that the MBP must do to "communicate" properly with each monitor when it is first connected or reconnected."

If you were only using one external monitor...or if both of your external monitors (home & work) were exactly the same make & model...you might not experience this "blinking"...but because you are using two different external monitors, your laptop needs to initially establish how to communicate with the monitor...that's why you get the blinking the first time you connect...but then everything is ok.

One further complication is that you are using two different adapters to attach these monitors to your laptop. With your one monitor you said that you are using a "VGA adapter", and with the other monitor you're using a "DVI adapter".

In the end...I think that everything is fine with all of your hardware (laptop & both monitors)...it's just the frequent switching between the two different external monitors (with the different adapters) initially requires your laptop to "establish communication" with the external monitor causing the "blinking".

I hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks