View Single Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Here's my questions: 1) What exactly are low level/filter drivers, and how do they might interfere with burning DL DVD's when running Windows XP in my macbook pro? 2) Does eliminating Windows XP from my macbook pro restore the optical drive's burning capacities back to the way it was when I first took my macbook pro out of the box after I ordered the computer from apple.com?
The mod was talking about the "Upper" and "Lower" filters which are registry entries in XP that have to do with your CD\DVD drive and its burning capability. However, removing XP as you did will remove all reference to any filters and the capability of your Superdrive in OS X should not be affected.

But you remember me telling you that if Nero Drive Speed altered the firmware on your Superdrive that it could impact speed? I don't know exactly what Nero Drive Speed does or how it works.

Here's what it says on the website:

Nero DriveSpeed description:

A utility to set the reading speed of a CD-ROM drive

Nero DriveSpeed is a utility to set the reading speed of a CD-ROM drive. The ability for limiting the reading speed of a CD-ROM drive is a must have feature for high speed drives.
although a high speed drive allows you to transfer data in less time, there are some disadvantages of using such a drive: Noise, Spin-up/down times, and reading damaged disks.

What's New in This Release:

Added seven new methods to detect the speed settings
Increased compatibility
Added Silent, Fast and Stop buttons
Fixed command line parameter bug
Small improvements and bug fixes

Are you still having problems?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks