View Single Post
Hyperluminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud
OK, a pseudo-technical explanation of what's happening:
Any processor, be it Pentium 4, G4, or G5, is only capable of doing one thing at a time. By switching back and forth rapidly between various tasks/threads, it gives the appearance of doing many things simultaneously. The operating system controls this task/thread switching.
The photoshop thread is running at highest priority... the system IS still doing stuff in the background (because like OSX, Windows XP is a true multitasking OS) but the background processes simply aren't getting enough CPU time to do their jobs in a reasonable amount of time.
OSX might be better at letting background threads run, I dunno... I never tried a photoshop filter on a mac. The operating system might force the thread to run at a lower priority so that the system can still do its other stuff.
Yup, thanks for the explanation. That's exactly what I was talking about. I just wanted to know if OS X is a little more proactive at throttling down other programs, if you try to do something else at the same time. The best example of why I asked though, is this: when I take my laptop out of suspend or hibernation, occassionally, if I have FireFox open, it'll use 100% of my CPU immediately. This actually causes my computer to sometimes take as much as 5 minutes to come out of suspend. Now, this is mainly a FireFox problem, but I just thought it was ridiculous that a true multitasking OS would allow itself to by stymied by a rogue process like this, under any circumstances. Now it's possible that the actual problem goes deeper than this, and its using 100% of my CPU isn't the only factor causing it to take so long coming out of suspend, but it doesn't at least outwardly appear to be anything other than FireFox using 100% of the CPU time (if I manage to terminate its process, the computer immediately recovers and finishes coming out of suspend normally)...
QUOTE Thanks