View Single Post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Unlike what some of those that have moved from Windows to a Mac - I'm going to say you do not need SMCFanControl. Yeah, yeah I know what those others would say. I spent many a year as a hardcore gamer, hardware enthusiast and overclocker where temps and fan speeds were an important aspect of my rigs. I've watched my MBP fans spin at 6000 rpm for hours at a time, but I didn't try to second guess the engineers.

If you've been artificially setting the fans at 5000 rpm, from my experience in numerous 6-8+ hour sessions of WoW, part of the time your fan has not needed to spin that fast and the majority of the time it's been spinning too slow, which allows your hardware to get hotter than it would have if left to it's own devices.

Having said all of that, if the fan(s) are making that kind of noise, you need to go ahead and set up an appointment at your local Apple store and take it in. Could be dirty, but from what you're describing, more than likely you need replacement(s).

Fans will fail whether using SMCFanControl or not. However, I do not recall any reports of fan failure on a MB or MBP during the first year of it's life except from those using SMCFanControl in my time at this forum. Even those have been few, but it does happen and if you just bought it in July, then you're still covered by warranty.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks