View Single Post
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Have you tried importing your video at true full resolution? Also, are you recording interlaced or progressive? I'm assuming you're recording at 1920x1080i and not one of the progressive modes on the camera. I'd import and edit at 1080i full resolution, and then output to the lower resolution. Right now, you're going through 2x size conversions (once to go from max rez to the 960x540 (which is what I think the actual numbers are, a simple /2 of the 1920x1080, but I don't have imovie in front of me to confirm) - it'd be much better if you could just do 1x size conversion.

I'd also see if you could stay either interlaced or progressive all the way through. If it's interlaced all the way through, you will see jaggies and combs on your LCD screen, but shouldn't on DVD playback.

You don't need full FCP to do beautiful HD work. My first HD project on a Mac was done using FCE ($199) and it turned out very sharp. Even so, you should be able to get a better picture then what you are describing from imovie.

Those are my initial thoughts at least.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks