Thread: Firewire Ports
View Single Post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, one is 400 and one is 800. While one reputedly has twice the bandwidth of the other, in my own tests between the two FW ports in moving data back and forth between external drives, the real world difference is negligible. Both will be almost twice as fast as USB.

Here's a post of some of my tests with USB, FW400 and FW800.

edit: I have and very much recommend OWC's Mercury Elite-Aluminum Pro. You never know where or for what you'll want to use that external in 2, 3 or 4 yrs from now and you'll be ready no matter which port you want to connect to a computer. Plus, you get to pick your HD instead of getting whichever drive Lacie was able to get the cheapest. It'll be about the same money as Lacie's quad interface option with some unknown drive in it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks