View Single Post
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

My problem with Anti-virus on the Mac is that I know none of the currently available apps would actually protect me from anything.

Whenever a virus does pop up, it's usually sensational news and covered everywhere, so it's not really a threat. But the anti-virus software manufacturers don't know about these things in advance either, so what's the point of running their software?

It's different in the windows world where there a millions of viruses and malicious apps - the likelihood of accidently installing something malicious is so much higher that it's a good idea to protect your PC.

Case in point: We had someone post a malicious app disguised as an camera app here recently. The only way you could tell it was malicious was by looking inside the package file. There's no way anti virus software would have caught that, but it looked sketchy enough to me that I checked it out first.

Taking basic security precautions (firewall, paying attention to what you download etc) is a very good idea. I'm just not sold on mac anti-virus.
QUOTE Thanks