View Single Post
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnInLA View Post
The uses will be: Itunes with ipod Touch, excel, powerpoint and Word for school work, AIM, storing photos from the Nikon d40, and surfing the net.
Kids are using PP for school work? WOW! Times have changed. If you don't require a version Microsoft Office, look into either Apples iWork (a full working demo comes on new Macs so the disc may be included with a used system) or one of the open source alternatives.

Quote:
Would anyone advise me strongly to only consider the $1000 + 8% tax = $1080 route, with warranty, or is the Macbook good reliability so that saving 40-45% is worth the risk?
When laptops have problems they can be pricey to fix. I'd dare say that if the used laptop you would be buying hasn't had issues, it is much less likely to have them in the near future. Perhaps you can buy a third party warranty. Also, I believe if the laptop is still under the Apple warranty, you can transfer that and even then buy the extended warranty if that wasn't originally bought.

Quote:
Unrelated, I saw a G3 ibook on ebay for $200. 30Gb hard drive, 384MB memory, 800G speed. I though this might be a good internet surfing utility for an older relative who currently goes to the library to surf the net. Any thoughts on the wisdom of buying a 6 yr. old iBook for net surfing?
I'd look at buying a desktop. You will get more power for the money. Also, nothing less than a 800Mhz G4 processor. Oh, the bare minimum memory would be 512MB, but preferable 1Gb.

You would likely be getting an older version of OS X, but for sure, expect to receive the install discs on any used system you buy. You should do a clean install.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks