View Single Post
lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If the drive is formatted in NTFS, then OS X can only read the drive, not write to it. To get OS X to write to NTFS-formatted drives, you can either buy Paragon NTFS for the Mac or use a free open-source alternative called NTFS-3G.

Alternatively, you could format the external drive using FAT32, which OS X can read/write to, but I don't recommend it. It's an antiquated file system that is very inefficient with space, especially at that size of a drive (if it's even supported on a drive that big... not sure actually) and with OS X, there's a risk of permanent data loss if such drives aren't "ejected" properly before disconnecting.

I highly recommend against using FAT32. If you need OS X to be able to write to the drive, then use NTFS and get one of the software items that enable OS X to write to that.
QUOTE Thanks