View Single Post
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorium View Post
Hi!

My first post here so bare with me.
You keep talking about the "stock 500 GB". How are the 320 GB disks that is standard with the Mac Pros (at least it looks like it on apple.com)? I suppose those are as fast as the 500 GB you tested in the store?
There really is no way to say. Apple doesn't explicitly spec out which drives they use, just the capacity. Hence they are free to change manufacturers as they wish. This is reflected in the fact that the ones I tested at the store had Western Digitals in them while the one I purchased had a Seagate in it. Basically, you don't know until you get it and you test it.

I would certainly HOPE that the 500's would perform as well as the 320s, but it all comes down to the manufacturer and the specs. Meantime, I can tell you that Seagate's 7200.11 line, which my new drive is a member of, is a real performer. I would strongly recommend them. Happily, the 320 GB drive in this family (see this Seagate page) is even faster than the 750 GB I have, clocking in at 115 MB/S sustained transfer rate. If raw data transfer performance is THE thing for you, go for this drive.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks