View Single Post
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilemoveon View Post
Hi, I tried ssh to remotely control linux pc at my working desk, but there is no graphic interface, any freeware I could use in the mac to remotely control my liunx pc or how do I add the graphic interface using ssh?

And also I would like to set up the downloading files to a specified directory, rather than the desktop by default?

Many thanks.
Instead of tunneling through vnc, you could try NoMachine's NX client and server setup
http://www.nomachine.com/

All you have to do is install it on your linux server and then install the client on your mac. When you try and connect to your linux server it will ask you for your username and password, then connect to you linux box over ssh. It will bring up a desktop from your linux box in a window on your mac.

I don't know how they do it, but it is surprisingly responsive. I use it fairly often for connecting to my workstation from home. I have no issues working on my remote machine for hours at a time. The nice thing about NoMachine is that it works over ssh, so that you will not have to have your sysadmins at the Uni add any firewall rules to let you through.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks