View Single Post
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hi m021478, how massive is massive? If it is not gigabytes in size, and is pure text, I would recommend my own VE text editor. VE is a Terminal.app text editor in the mode of vi, but much, much friendlier and easier to use. It has a set of column commands (the same sort of thing is also available in other advanced text editors such as emacs, and is known as rectangle commands in these editors) which can do this very thing: delete a leading space at the start of each line, or each entry, and also delete a trailing space at the end of each line or entry. You can get the Mac version of VE here.

In some cases, if the file has a regular format, the column commands will do the trick. In cases where each line is of differing indentation and size, a combination of the Find and Replace commands can do the job.

In the worst case, you can create a simple interactive macro that will do the trick as well.

If this is a "one of" (yes, I REALLY do mean "one of", not "one off", which is an abomination), I would be willing to do the job for you. PM me if this is the case and we can arrange to transfer the file to me. I can do the work and transfer it back.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks