View Single Post
TLB

TLB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" Intel core 2 duo, 2.8 ghz, 4 gb ram, 500gb hd, 500 gb time capsule

This problem was solved, although I can't say I know why it occurred.

The windows XP laptop had an older laptop adapter, 802.11b, that could not work, using wpa encryption, with the Time Capsule's 802.11g/n, which is what required the use of the 802.11b Netgear router bridged to the Time Capsule.

STEP 1 - replace the 802.11b wireless adapter in the windows xp laptop with an 802.11g adapter. This allowed the windows xp laptop to acquire an IP address from the Time Capsule but not access the internet.

STEP 2 - remove the 802.11b Netgear router from the network.

At this time, iMac was acquiring an IP address from the TC but not accessing the internet. This led to questioning whether the ethernet cable from the TC to the DSL device was a problem.

STEP 3 - Replaced that ethernet cable from the TC to the DSL device and both the iMac and windows xp desktop accessed the internet.

STEP 4 - With the 802.11b Netgear router now removed, connected the windows xp desktop to the TC with ethernet cable. Windows xp desktop then acquired an IP address and accessed the internet.

SUMMARY: it seems that there may have been two problems.
1. The 802.11b Netgear router bridged to the TC via ethernet.
2. A faulty ethernet cable between the TC and the DSL device.

I hope this may help anyone else troubleshooting a similar problem. Neither Apple OneCare nor anyone viewing the original posting was able to provide any help, although by working with the Apple tech, enough insight was gained that a solution eventually came from trial and error.

Now beginning to enjoy the full use of the iMac and expecting to make very good use of a very nice machine.
QUOTE Thanks