View Single Post
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

SSH is a protocol for remote login to computers that's built into UNIX-like operating systems. For any Linux/BSD/etc., typing

Quote:
ssh username@ip_address
will allow you to remotely log into the target computer, assuming it's configured to allow such a connection and the ports aren't blocked by some firewall. It's entirely command-line interface, though, which is part of why it's the fastest thing you can go for. Of course, adding the -X option lets you use X display for programs that use it... as you can tell, it was very much made with UNIX/Linux/etc in mind, but I can only assume someone's made it work for Windows somehow since the operating system is so popular. Of course, just as nifty as ssh is scp, the secure copy protocol that lets you directly copy files to and from any two machines you can ssh into. It's a lot more convenient than email attachments.

As for Chicken of the VNC, that's just a Mac program with a nice GUI used to easily make connections using VNC. You can check it out here.

My connection currently is on a university campus, so it's faster than boradband solutions you'd be able to buy for the home I'm pretty sure. That said, most of my times using VNC have actually been over a wireless connection that's either 802.11b or 802.11g, so I don't think having an extraordinarily fast connection is exactly a prerequisite for it. It's not SEAMLESS, but it was certainly a lot faster than when I had to Remote Desktop into the Windows 2003 Server account to mess around with email settings recently... that was just painful. But the VNCing was done into an account on a Linux machine that was some kind of Xeon monster server with massive amounts of RAM, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I'm glad I could help! Feel free to ask about anything else OS X-related; you'll be as comfortable with it as you were with Windows in no time.
QUOTE Thanks