View Single Post
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I don't know why you would need to pay some import tax. How/why would they even know what you're shipping? Is it typical for their postal service to rip open any package coming from overseas and check it out to see whether or not they should charge you for whatever is in the box?

I've purchased things from overseas, and I've bought things internationally while living overseas, but I've never experienced anything like what you're worried about. Maybe I was lucky.
When shipping overseas, one typically must declare the contents and its value. If customs suspects that the contents is other than what you have declared, or that you are undervaluing the contents, they will in fact open the package. I've had that occur in at least one instance when shipping an item to Japan that was covered by the tariff schedule.

Fortunately, most industrialized countries have either done away with duties on most items, or let it slide when an item is being shipped by an individual. Before the Euro appreciated massively against the U.S. dollar, I used to buy quite a lot from the EC, and never got dinged on duties.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks