View Single Post
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Here's a simple idea that might just work. Hold down the option key I think it is at start up. And select the drive you want as the startup drive. It worked for a friend in the past. It's a long shot but worth a shot.

And also have you held down the D (I think) key at startup for the hardware diagnostic test. Run it and see what it tells you. That should point out if the error is hardware related.

Apart from that MHC (the above poster) really summed up things quite well. But I will see if you could install OS X into the external drive, boot from that, transfer all your wanted files from the internal drive to the external one. Then Zero all the data on the internal drive (will take ages) as said above and load OS X onto it. Then you can if it works just copy all your data back from the external to the internal. it's a long way around but it might be the only option you have.
QUOTE Thanks